Family is the foundation of society. The progress and development of the society depends on sound family development.Family is the basic unit of social organization in all-human societies. Since prehistoric times, families have served as the primary institution responsible for raising children, providing people with food and shelter, and satisfying people‘s need for love and support.
The term family generally refers to a group of people related to one another by birth, marriage, or adoption, in contemporary society, people often apply the word family to any group that feels a sense of kinship (family connection).
Types of family
According to dominion a family is two types: –
1. Father is the dominant of the family.
2. Mother is the dominant of the family.
According to size two major varieties: –
1. Nuclear family.
2. Extended family.
According to number of spouses two major types: –
2. Polygamous: a) Polygyny.
Function of the family
Family types very in different countries and among different cultures. In Western, industrialized societies, the nuclear family ranks as the most common family type. It consists of a father, a mother, and their children. But nuclear families exist alongside many other types of family units. In the single-parents family, for example a mother or a father heads the family alone. A blended family is formed when a divorced or widowed parent remarries. As divorce rates have risen, the number of single parents and blended families has increased.
Some cultures follow a traditional practice called polygamy, in which a person can have more then one spouse (husband or wife). The two chief forms of polygamy are polygyny and polyandry. In polygyny, a man marries more than one woman. In polyandry a woman has more than one husband.
Functions of the family
How a family can be happy and sound discuss with reference: –
Six major functions: –
- Child bearing.
- Providing food and shelter to family members.
- Meeting psychological needs: – love, support and companionship.
- Education and training.
- Socialization and
- Security and safety.
Families perform many necessary functions, both for individual family members and for society as a whole. In virtually all cultures, the family serves as the basic institution for bearing children, caring for them during their early years, and preparing them to function activity in society. Families around the world must also provide food and protein to their members. In addition, Families meet important psychological needs, such as the need for love support and companionship. Family also provides security and safety for its members particularly in early phase of life. It provides sense of security for the members.
Family helps to socialize the member particularly children. The home is the center of family activities. These activities include raising children, eating meals, playing games, keeping house, and entertaining friends. In the home, children basic social skills, such as how to talk and get along with others. They also learn health and safety habits there.
Family’s home life is influence by which members live in the home and by the roles each member plays. Relatives who live outside the family’s home can also affect home life. Traditions, loss and social conditions help determine who lives in a home and the places each family member holds.
The factor affects the family: –
b) Tradition and social condition.
c) Legal system.
d) Nature of occupation/ economic system.
e) Role of society and state.
Changes in family role over time: –
The family’s duties have changed over time in the past families not only cared for the young but also grew their own food, made their own clothing, and provides services for themselves that modern families generally do not provide. Parents taught reading, writing, and craft skills to their children families also cared for sick and elderly relatives and often provided financial support for members in need. Since 1800’s, mainly in western society many of these traditional responsibilities have sniffed to such institutions as schools, hospitals, insurance companies and nursing home.
Roles within the family have also changed. Traditionally, the father was to take up an occupation to support his wife and children. The mother, in tern, ran the home and cared for the children. Today, however, both parents commonly work outside the home, and fathers often perform household duties formerly express of women.
Generally in western society one has little contact with relatives outside the nuclear family. But many Eastern families feel strong ties to such relatives and see them often. Aunts, uncles, and cousins traditionally play important roles in the live of these people.
There are different kinds of relationship among family members:
- Parent’s children relationship.
- Husband wife relationship.
- Brother sister relationship.
There are some other kinds of relationship in extended family like.
- Uncle Aunt nephew nice relationship.
- Grand parents and grandchild etc.
Parents and children obligations to each other
Family depends primarily on Parent’s conduct to their children. Parents are the manager and guardian of the family. Future of children mostly depends on parent’s role. Parents/ Guardians must fulfill the rights of the children. It is their duty to ensure the rights of their children. Parents have great obligation toward their children. None can avoid these on any pretext.
Rights of children and parents obligation towards children: –
- 1. Right to be born.
- 2. Right to life.
- 3. Right to legitimacy.
- 4. Right to be cared.
- 5. Right to have breast-feeding up two years..
- 6. Right to have good and pleasant.
- 7. Right to be loved.
- 8. Right to education.
- 9. Right to get justice and good & equal treatment.
- 10. Right to food and shelter in the young age.
- 11. Right to get marriage in due time.
Children’s conduct toward their parents: –
- Loyalty and respect
- Kindness, patience and good manners particularly in old age
- Honor the parents sentiments
- It is impolite for a child to call his parents by there first name
- Children are responsible for the support and maintenance of their parents. It is an absolute religious duty to provide for parents in case of need and to help to make their lives as comfortable as possible.
- A child should try to avoid anytime that might irritate his parents.
- If parents ask the child for something that is beyond his capacity it is his duty to apologize in a polite manner for not being able to fulfill their wish.
- A men’s relationship with his parents and his wife should not be at the expense of each other, nor should one be sacrificed for the other, both should be characterized by harmony and reconciliation.
- Obedience and loyalty towards parents are must but not opposing the obedience of Allah.
- Being patient, Grateful compassionate, respectful and affectionate towards parents is a necessary even it they are from other religions.
- Providing parents with sincere counsel if required
- It is a child’s duty to listen well to have parents when they speak to him. He should never interrupt his parents while there are speaking and never argue with them.
- When accompanying them outdoors a child should not walk in front of him/her while walking, and not to take a seat before he/her has.
- No child may become the cause of harm to his parents.
- Asking a father for extra money, for what he does not possess or for what he cannot give easily must be avoided.
- A child must not draw attention to his generosity or support toward his parents. It is strictly forbidden.
- To be humble to his parents and to be service to them in the house and outside is a great honor, whatever a child position is.
- It is a child duty to take care of his parents when they get old by having them live with him in his house but instead of this sending them to a home for the aged in considered not only discourteous but obnoxious.
- If meeting with others with a smiling face in considered an act of kindness by someone, it is a necessity in the case of a child meeting his parents.
- A child should take the initiative and greet his parents when he meets them. He must not expect that his parents greet him first.
- A child is supposed to respect and treat his parents kindly even they disregard and treat him wrongfully.
- To revile parents is one of the most serious sins. A child should also avoid reviling some one else’s parents lest they should revile his.
- However much a child is in disagreement with one of his parents he should not say a cross word or make a gesture that would hard them.
- A forester mother is one of his relative so children most not neglect his duties toward her.
- It is the duty of children to help their parents with house holds work without having to be asked to do so.
Husband wife relationship and obligation
Husband wife relationship based on marriage. Through marriage a man and a woman become Husband wife respectively. Marriage is an oldest tradition of mankind. No society is found where there is no some from of marriage system. Islam denounces celibacy and encourages marriage.
Purpose of marriage
- To satisfy emotional and biological needs.
- It is a means of legitimate procreation/giving birth to children.
- For love mental peace and tranquility.
- For companionship and support.
- For building family and society.
The Holly Quran says: –
“He (Allah) created for you mates from among you selves that you may dwell in tranquility with them and he has put love and mercy between your hearts.”(30:21)
“And Allah has made for you mates of your own nature and made for you, out of them sons and daughters, and grand children-“(16.72)
Husband wife Relationship: –
Successful marriage and family depends on relationship between husband and wife. It is a mutual thing. Both have the rights as well as obligations. Sound relationship depends on following major factors:
a) Love and respect.
b) Adjustment with each other nature.
c) Partnership approach.
d) Sincere to mutual rights and obligations.
Husband’s obligations to his wife: –
- Good behavior: The best man is he who is best and kindest to his wife. Therefore acting kindly to one’s wife is a great obligation.
- Maintenance: Husband must maintain the family.
- Companionship and giving time to wife.
- Not to hate but love.
- Not to talk to others about private affairs of conjugal life.
- Not to abuse or revile, not to hurt mentally or physically.
- To honors and respect wife’s close relatives and friends and be hospitable to them.
- To ignore wife’s mistakes in most cases.
- A Muslim husband should guide his wife to lead an Islamic life.
- On returning home a husband should not center the house without first tell his family of his arrival by ringing the bell or knocking the door. If a husband comes from distant place he must inform his family of his arrival.
- Not to ignore wife’s sentiments, need and problems.
- Not to take wife’s income or property without her free consent.
- A Muslim husband must pay wife’s dowry or muhar according to marriage contract.
- Not to give pressure one’s wife for earning because it is the duty of husband to maintain the family.
- It is good conduct to help the wife in household activities.
- In case a wife works outside husband should consider her business and tiredness and should not expect everything from her as is possible from a simple housewife. Rather both husband and wife should reach an understanding regarding the household duties and management. if wife shares family income husband should shares household duties as much as possible.
- Loyalty and respect to husband.
- To do best to keep her husband pleased to her.
- To look after the family and husbands property in absents of husband.
- She must not refuse when her husband calls her.
- Without the permission of husband a Muslim wife must not fast voluntary.
- Not to allow anyone that her husband does not want to enter the house without his permission.
- A wife may not give anything away of husband’s property without his permission.
- A wife should avoid asking husband extra money or for that which a does not process and cannot provided. Wife should show that gratitude what ever is given.
- A wife should discuses family problem with her husband at appropriate time.
- A wife should honor and respect husband close relatives and treat then with kindness.
- Too many arguments and disputes with a husband in fact lead to hatred and deterioration of the relationship.
- Wife must not others about privet matter between husband and wife.
- Wife should show respect with sympathy to her husband parents and must not try to pursue her husband so that he becomes reluctant to or forget his duty towards the parents. it is an evil act to compel husband to leave his parents.
Children are important factor in a family. They have important role in the family. Relation among children is must important to make family happy and sound. There are different group among children.
- Elder brother or sister.
- Younger brother and sister.
Elder brothers and sisters have some duty and obligations towards younger. Elder should fulfill the right towards their junior. It is their duty to ensure the right to their brother and sister.
Elder brothers and sisters conduct towards younger brother and sister: –
- To love them.
- To take care and be conscious about them.
- In the absent of parents treat them as own child and give them the share that they deserved from the parents property.
- Be kind towards them.
- Look after the sisters after they have married.
- To teach them good moral training.
- To get justice and good equal treatment.
- Not to be cause any kind of harm of them.
- To teach them social responsibility, to teach about social practices.
- Give them right to express their opinion.
Younger brothers and sisters conduct towards their seniors: –
- Loyalty and respect
- Honor their senior sentiment.
- It is a polite for the junior to call their senior by first name.
- Bring patients grateful respectful towards their seniors.
- Disobedient, neglect towards seniors and considered as sins.
- To tell in a polite way if elders made a mistake.
- Talk with them with politely and smiley face.
- Listen and obey their orders and commends.
- In their old age treat them as parents.
Uncle Ants and Nephew Nice obligations to each others:
Uncle ants conduct towards nephew nice.
- Treat nephew nice as own child.
- To take care about them.
- To give them the moral training and education.
- To love them.
- To give them food and shelter in the youngest is the absence of parents.
It is uncle and aunts duty to love and take care their nephew and nice. In the absence of parents uncle and aunts are their legal guardians. So that case they are their children.
Nephew and nice conduct towards their uncle and aunts: –
- To respect and obey them treat them and own parents.
- They should try to avoid all things, which is irritating for uncle and aunts.
- Obedient and loyalty towards uncle and aunts.
- To take acre in the old age if they haven’t any other option to survive.
Uncle and aunt should be same to parents was their parents’ brother and sister, to show love, respect, and obedience is same to show it towards parents and it will be tainted as seems if show neglect towards uncle and aunt by words and works.
Grant parents and grant child obligation to each other
This kind of relation will only found in an extended family. Grant parents conduct towards their grand children.
- To love them.
- To teach them good moral training.
- To give them knowledge from their background life.
- To show them the right way of life according to their previous experience.
- To help them to build up with a sound mind.
- Not to became the cause of harm.
Grand children’s conducts towards grant parents: –
- Loyalty and respect.
- Kindness patience and good manners.
- Honor their sentiments.
- Being patient dreadful respectful affectionate.
- Providing grand parents with sincere council it required.
- It is grand children duty to listen them and not to show any irritating behaviors towards.
- Not to became the cause of harm.
- To be care full about them.
- Since they are physically weak and mentally feeble. So its Childs duty to be conscious about them.
- Children grand children’s must not neglect their duties towards grand parents.
How to make a family happy and sound
When we going to discus about how to make a family sound and happy then we have to look at those factors which is important to make a family happy and sound. We also have to look those key factors, which is the cause that makes a family unhappy. Happiness is not a thing, which can buy like a product. It’s comes through mental satisfaction. To make a family sound and happy family members should be satisfied at a moderate living standard.
Factors important to make a family happy and sound
- Good relationship among family members.
- Fulfill the basic right (food, dress, shelter, education, medical treatment) of the family members.
- Make them concern about their duty and obligations towards family.
- Make them concern about their duty and obligations towards family members.
- By making the family members aware about their rights.
- By making family members more responsible about their duty towards himself, family members, society, nations and country.
- Make a complete plan of action, how to manage the family.
- By fulfilling the family members wants, needs and demands.
- Make ensure the complete allocation of wealth and other facilities among family members.
- It is a most important duty of family chief to listen the problems of other family members.
- Ensure the participation of other members in making major decision.
- Family members should try to honor others members feelings.
- To ensure that all family members are owing the obligations and duties of family ethics (which is given in the reference section).
- Family members should try to realize others members problem.
- Family members should try to build up good relationship among each other.
- A family should try to avoid all those things, which are creating a gap in between their relation.
- A family should try to arrange reunion or some kinds of meeting, which is important to rearrange the relation.
Factors make a family unhappy
- Lack of good understanding among family members.
- Unsatisfactory, which is very important factor in the question of family’s happiness.
- Economic problem is a very important issue.
- A little misunderstanding may cause a great kind of problem.
- Not to show respect on others feelings cause of a trouble.
- Miss behavior creates a great amount of problem.
- Not to show respect on others opinion and sentiments is also a problem-creating factor.
- Impatience, unmerciful is also problem-creating factor.
- Lack of secrecy create problem in family life.
10. Not to be attentive on other words create problem.
11. Not to listen problems of others create problem.
12. Un sacrificing tendency is not suitable for a happy family life.
13. Not to be helpful and merciful is not a suitable tendency
for a happy family life.
Happiness comes through satisfaction. It is a very important practice for family members to satisfy themselves within what they have. Otherwise a family cannot be completely happy and sound. It is a very important factor that a man or women’s family should must be sound and happy otherwise it will be impossible to expect a good impact from him or her. Family leads a very important role in a man’s or women personal life. So it is very important that a good and happy family can help to makes a man or woman successful. Family can lead a very important role to its member’s mentality. Any body shouldn’t expect a happy and soundman from an unhappy family. Happy and sound family is very much required for a complete human being non can achieve his or her goal without family support.
Related Arts Paper:
Popular Arts Paper:
Social Problems is the official publication of the The Society for the Study of Social Problems. A social problem is a condition that at least some people in a community view as being undesirable. Everyone would agree about some social problems, such as murders and DWI traffic deaths. Other soc.....
Traffic Jam in Dhaka City Over the last few years the transportation problem of Dhaka City has visibly been deteriorating steadily. Citizens constantly complain about the unbearable twin problems of traffic jam and air pollution. Democracy watch decided to address this problem through an opinion.....
Contract is an agreement enforceable by law. Between two or more parties for the doing or not doing of something specified.Contracts can also be classified according to performance. A contract can be either executed or executor. An executed contract—is where one party has performed all that is .....
Bangladesh, in full, People’s Republic of Bangladesh, republic of southern Asia, in the northeastern portion of the Indian subcontinent, bordered on the west, north, and east by India, on the southeast by Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), and on the south by the Bay of Bengal. The area of the .....
Social Problems in Bangladesh Despite its poor-country status, increasing numbers of tourists have visited Bangladesh, a new but minor source of foreign exchange earning. Tourism in the early 1980s amounted to some 49,000 visitors per year, but by 1986 more than 129,000 tourists–mostly from.....