Writing for Effect
Importance of Effect
• The first concern is to maintain clarity in writing – especially for internal communication.
• The written communication involving the external people should focus both on clarity and goodwill effect.
• Goodwill effect contributes to the development of the favorable image of the company.
Using conversational style helps provide goodwill effect.
Stiff and Dull
- Enclosed herewith is the brochure about which you make enquiry.
- I shall be most pleased to avail myself of your kind suggestion when and if prices decline.
- Enclosed is the brochure you asked about.
- I will gladly follow your suggestion if the price falls.
Cutting Out “Rubber Stamps”
Rubber stamps are expressions used every time a certain type of situation occurs.
- Last but not least
- Leave no stone unturned
- As good as gold relics
- This is to inform you that…
- In accordance with your instructions…
“You-Viewpoint” is a technique for creating goodwill message that focuses on the reader’s interests and concerns.
You-Viewpoint can be applied in case of:
- Presenting good news
- Approving a request of some party (i.e. customer)
- Developing advertising messages
- Presenting bad news
- We sell this cutlery set for the low price of Taka 250 each and suggest a retail price of Taka 310.
- We have received your report of May 1.
- You can reap a Taka 60 profit on each cutlery set you sell at Taka 310.
- Thank you for your report of May 1.
Effects of Words
- Positive words are appropriate for achieving message goals.
- Positive words create goodwill atmosphere that a sender usually seeks.
- Negative words create reader’s resistance as these go against reader’s intention and/or will.
- Strongly negative words such as mistake, problem, refuse; etc create unpleasant effects.
Examples: Word Choice
- We regret to inform you that we must deny your request for credit
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere except in the lobby
- For the time being, we can serve you on a cash basis only
- Smoking is permitted in the lobby only.
“Courtesy” is a technique that is used to build and maintain goodwill. In this case, a sender treats people with respect and friendly human concern.
The techniques can be applied:
- Focusing or customizing your message for specific reader.
- Refraining from preaching (i.e. you must, you should)
- Doing more than is expected
- Avoiding anger.
- I can not understand your negligence.
- We will not tolerate this condition.
- We have no intention of permitting this condition to continue.
- Being Sincere.
- Over-doing goodwill techniques
- Exaggerating the positives.
- Avoid preaching.
- You must take advantage of savings like this if you are to be successful.
- You should use this product according to the guidelines as in indicated in the manual.
- Doing more than expected.
- Providing explanation to a request which has been denied.
- Providing a answer that justifies a decision whether it be positive, or negative.
- Offering possible alternative course of actions.
- Providing suggestions about using the product.
- Congratulating, or wishing good luck.
Role of Emphasis
Four techniques of emphasis:
- Emphasis by Position – The starting and ending part of a writing unit carry more emphasis than the center.
- Space and Emphasis – The more is said about something, the more emphasis is given to it.
- Sentence structure and Emphasis – Place more important information in a short, simple sentence.
- Mechanical means and Emphasis – Using quotation marks, italics, bold typeface; etc.
The relationships among the parts of the message, paragraph, and sentence must be maintained that build a logical and consistent structure.
- Arranging information in a logical order by putting related issues together.
- Using key words.
- Using pronouns to refer back to earlier facts.
- Using transitional expressions (i.e. in contrast).
Related English Paper:
Popular English Paper:
This lecture focus to presentation on Comparison and Contrast Writing. Here focus on differences and similarities of Comparison and Contrast Writing. Comparison shows how two or more things are similar and Contrast shows how two or more things are different. In most writing situations, the two .....
Statement of the problem Training makes a man competent to do a job. Training is a systematic process. Teacher training is to learn how to conduct teaching on the basis of fixed objectives, following appropriate techniques. By training a teacher can successfully run his / her teaching learning ac.....
Introduction: The present age is marked as an age of globalization and for many different reasons English has achieved the prestige of being a global language. So to pace with the global context English is a must and now a days it is used in our country not only as a foreign languag.....
Introduction: Consistent with the education system of Bangladesh, students pass their adolescent in secondary education which is the best time to build up and prepare for the future. Traditionally, in almost all educational institutes (schools), activities like class exercises, class tests, home .....
Introduction: For various historical and economic reasons there is a huge demand for English language. As a language English play a vital role all over the world for many years and it is considered as a global language. Statics show that about 380 million people speak English as a first languag.....