Internship Program of BRAC Bank Limited
BRAC Bank Limited is a scheduled commercial bank in Bangladesh. It established in Bangladesh under the Banking Companies Act, 1991 and incorporated as private limited company on 20 May 1999 under the Companies Act, 1994. The primary objective of the Bank is to provide all kinds of banking business. At the very beginning the Bank faced some legal obligation because the High Court of Bangladesh suspended activity of the Bank and it could fail to start its operations till 03 June 2001. Eventually, the judgment of the High Court was set aside and dismissed by the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on 04 June 2001 and the Bank has started its operations from July 04, 2001. The Chairman of the Bank at that time is Mr. Fazle Hasan Abed.Now our new Managing Director is Mr. Salim R. F Hossain. The bank has made a reasonable progress due to its visionary management people and its appropriate policy and implementation.
Building a profitable and socially responsible financial institution focused on Markets and Business with growth potential, thereby assisting BRAC bank and stakeholders build a “just, enlightened, healthy, democratic and poverty free Bangladesh.
- Sustained growth in ‘small & Medium Enterprise’ sector.
- Continuous low cost deposit growth with controlled growth in Retained Assets.
- Corporate Assets to be funded through self-liability mobilization. Growth in. Assets through Syndications and Investment in faster growing sectors.
- Continuous endeavor to increase fee based income.
- Keep our Debt Charges at 2% to maintain a steady profitable growth.
- Achieve efficient synergies between the bank’s Branches, SME Unit Offices and BRAC bank field offices for delivery of Remittance and Bank’s other products and services.
- Manage various lines of business in a fully controlled environment with no compromise on service quality.
- Keep a diverse, far flung team fully motivated and driven towards materializing the bank’s vision into reality
The Bank’s Strength emanates from its owner – BRAC bank. This means, it will hold the following values and will be guided by them as it does its jobs.
- Value the fact that we are a member of the BRAC bank family.
- Creating an honest, open and enabling environment.
- Have a strong customer focus and build relationships based on integrity, superior service and mutual benefit.
- Strive for profit & sound growth.
- Work as a team to serve the best interest of our owners.
- Relentless in pursuit of business innovation and improvement.
- Value and respect people and make decisions based on merit. Base recognition and reward on performance.
- Responsible, trustworthy and law-abiding in all that we do.
- BRAC Bank Limited has won prestigious ‘Best Bank in Bangladesh Award’ from Finance Asia as part of Country Awards for Achievement 2013
- BRAC Bank has won prestigious “The Best Managed Bank Award” and its Managing Director & CEO Mr. Syed Mahbubur Rahman has been accorded with “The Asian Banker Leadership Achievement Award” for Bangladesh for achievement in the period 2011-2013
- BRAC Bank Wins the Award for Best Retail Bank in Bangladesh on March 11, 2011.
- BRAC Bank Limited has received ICAB National Award for Best Published Accounts and Reports 2010 as joint third position under banking category
- BRAC Bank awarded prestigious FT Sustainable Bank of the Year 2010
- BRAC Bank received National Award as the Highest VAT payer for the financial year 2007-2008
- DHL–Daily Star Bangladesh Business Awards 2008
There are 335 ATM Booths are available allover Bangladesh. In Dhaka BRAC Bank Has 210 Booths and those are operated under five ATM Service Center. I am working under Shyamoli ATM Service center. We have four zones. Those are-
- Shyamoli Zone
- Mirpur Zone
- Gabtoli Zone
- Second Capital Zone
My working zone was Shyamoli zone from February, 2014. I have to look after around 16 booths almost every day. In my working area there are two types of booths. Like-
Off-site Booth: Off-site booth means those booths which are not goes under any branch or besides the ATM booth there is no availability of BRAC Bank branch. Offsite booths are given below-
- Joint Quater Booth
- Tajmahal Road Booth
- Kaderabad Housing Booth
- Rifles Squre Booth
- Alliance Francise Booth
- Green Road booth
- Pantha Path Booth
- Shewrapara Booth
- Mirpur-2 Booth
- SangbadikCalony Booth
- Rupnagar Booth (AponSomoy)
- Agargaon ( AponSomoy)
Branch Booth: Those booths which are situated under any branch and secured by the branch security personal. Those booth area are-
- Shyamoli Branch
- New Satmasjid Branch
- Asadgate Branch
- BegamRokeyaSarani Branch
Details are given below
Cash Distribution print copy: We used to have a team leader. Everyday our team leader provides us cash distribution printed copy to all zone representatives. We got two copies each.
Then we take one copy and another copy we give to our team leader with a signature of mine and with my custodian’s.
Cash received and count: After having cash distribution print copy cashier gives the money to the team leader, total amount for all together. Then our team leader distributes the money according to our print copy. After getting our money we recount the money.
Individual booth cash pack: After recounting the money we separate the money by the needed money for each booth and pack them in brown envelop. We have to write booth name above the envelop
Prepare the voucher: After packing the money we had to prepare a debit voucher. In the voucher we had to mention date, booth account number, individual booth name and the amount of money.
Cash handover to Security Company: After preparing the voucher we match the tag number and relevant documents then we give our money to the security company. Tag should be used in the every security trunk. Every day after each loading ATM cash I should check the tag number written in the voucher & tag should be tied properly. For ATM return cash if necessary more than one tag each time after previous tag untied tag number may include in the voucher. .We can take up to 5 crore at a time because of that amount of money insured by the bank.
Individually Booth Activity: In here I have to work one by one booth work. There several chamber inside a booth machine. That chamber where we put money it is known as cassette. There are four cassettes inside each machine. Each cassette we load less than 3000 notes because if we load money all 3000 notes the machine will be hang soon because money will not be delivered from the cassette or when the booth machine start to count and collect the money for delivery money can be stuck inside. We usually input money in 2 ways. – Replenish & Add cash
- Replenish: In this we have to swipe out all the money which are left inside each cassette and give it a fresh load of money as we are instructed to do.
- Add cash: In this we have to add money with the rest of the money at the cassette.
1st Call to Our Team Leader: When I go for any booth for replenish first I have to call my team leader. I have to ask him to keep a screenshot of the cassette status.
Print Cash Status: The time I touch the ATM machine I have to print last cash cassette status of the machine.
Collect Money & Handover: Before replenish load we have to collect money from cassette & handover to Security Company. When we gave the money to the security company they give us a voucher with a new tag number and destination from the booth to the ADC and they have to take my signature at the voucher without my signature the voucher will not be validated.
Cassette load: Each machine has 4 cassettes and one reject box. Individually each cassette can load less than 3000 notes. After loading money I have to print new loaded cassette status.
Replacing Journal: Every day there are several transactions happens in each booth. And the way of keeping the record or the system of keeping the record in few booth machines is called journal. It’s a paper roll. So it has limitation to write certain amount of transactions. When the roll is finished the machine will show out of service. Then I have to also change the journal.
Each replenishment time I open a machine I have to change the journal and keep the replaced journal with me and submit it at my ADC.
Advice Paper: Customer gets a slip when they punch any Debit/Credit card at the machine for withdrawal or to know balance of their account or if they want any mini statement that is called advice paper. If the advice paper finishes I have to load another advice paper.
Booth Check list: In booth check list I have to check 11 points to prevent any unwanted event. Then two custodians have to sign the check list and also before leaving the booth we have to sign at the register. We have to note down our time at the booth each and every paper we are documenting. If we go to any booth more than one time a day we have to check the check list once but I have to check the register every time.
Final check: I should check the power or cable connectivity of CCTV & DVR for ATM visit. If I found any uneven then contact immediately with country security or relevant IT personnel. Before returning from the booth I have to check everything at the booth very carefully because for a single paper missing I have to answer for that.
Replenish sheet: After reaching the office I should maintain their ATM return sheet according to the instruction such as- print counter amount, physical amount, and total amount should be written properly. Then I count the money I physically found and match with the print amount. And then at the last I have to submit the physical money to the cashier. And for add cash purpose proper return sheet with print counter submission is also mandatory.
Voucher Submission: I have to prepare a Debit voucher by making the physical money I got from the booth and matched with the print amount. I have to prepare a credit voucher if the physical amount doesn’t match with the print amount.
Combination Submit: After changing combination of each ATM I will submit new combination to ADC vault & previous custodian of that ATM will collect his old combination from vault & will destroy it immediately in front of manager, associate manager (replenishment) & associate manager (cash service).
Custodian and Vendors work: Custodian and vendors have date level access of ATM following instructions must be followed with immediate effect.
- I (ATM custodian) will not leave ATM to vendor unattended.
- Access of all removable storage devices should be restricted.
- Folders which contain video footages or images should be protected by secured password.
- Any kind of date in debugging mode should be restricted & monitored by IT on periodical basis.
- A register should be maintained by IT team to capture detail information of vendor activities in ATM booths.
- Any date required by AYTM vendors should be provided by IT through proper channel and with proper justification.
CIT Trip sheet: I should follow the prescribed guidelines during ADD CASH & REPLENISHMENT, CDM collection, Card Collection activity & maintain proper CIT Trip sheet with security tags. Following points to be noted for maintaining security tags & trip sheets during Cash Loading using CIT vehicles.
For every touch points there should be trip sheet with detail information such as- trip location, date, time, carrying amount, tag number, signatures etc.
I must cross check the security tag number with trip sheets at every single touch points. Security vendor should split security tags in front me for each and every time the cash carrying trunk requires opening.
Refresher briefing: Usually our office hour is start from 10am.When I go to office before 10am, 15 minutes is our refresher briefing hour and that time we discussion there is like any new things facing problem and anything new happing regarding our machine. Then we share everything and experience and try to solution this problem. Sometime we get fake card in our booth then we tell each other that time always other officer. Any new decision we make by hire authority then we discuses refresher briefing.
Implications to Company
During this doing intern report about Banking operation and management activities, I found some issues that I need to get an idea about the banking transactions system, to get studied on the customer relationship with the bank. And to know the existing performance level of the employees, also know about customers’ opinion in developing the service quality.
Depend on my objectives one by one everything has to clear that what kind of issues I faced and for this what kind of solution I can provide to my company. There are some suggestions to my organization.
- Now a day’s working environment is one of the most important factors for any employee. Without good environment employee cannot worked as properly. For my point of view I will say “yes, I am satisfied to work in my organization.” Although my suggestion would be to the subordinates that they should be more friendly and also management should with employees. Then it will give employees great motivational influences to work within organization.
- It is required that an intern will deal with various sectors and departments of an organization. I felt that I have achieved some more dimensions while I was studying on the various sectors of the organization. These multi-dimensional pieces of work could be valuable for my career ahead of me.
- The last thing I have to say about my subordinate’s role. From my point of view I have seen in different organizations that all subordinate are not helpful to everyone. But in my department, I can say that everyone is very helpful and good personality person. Although everyone is good but my suggestion will be someone has to more helpful for any task or training. Also every employee should to have great dedicational working nature to company.
Implications to University’s Internship program
To equip a student with more practical knowledge, a university could provide at MBA study with some practical knowledge with some precise and specific courses or training which will be more effective for the student for his/her professional life. It’s a great opportunity for me doing MBA from BRACU also in my last semester it’s great to take internship. For this internship program proudly I can say that this program is really benefited to me also for my carrier. Some points are below:
- How to present work experience in the report
- Improved presentation skill
- Cooperative education experience
- Concern for integrating experiences and external experiences
- Understand about corporate culture
- Practical job life
- Theoretical knowledge apply in the practical field
I have learned lots of new things, which was totally unknown for me. Besides learning from the organization and the university I have also learned some other things which are very essential for me.
- Increased trust, confidence and professionalism
- Software develop
- Improved subject area and discipline knowledge
- Developing skills and competencies
In the internship period I have gathered a different type of experience. It is a well-established statement that practical situations always differ from theoretical explanation. The experience and learning I have gathered from my whole internship program with the BRAC Bank Limited was really important for me and I enjoyed the whole thing from the first day of my Job and as well as my internship program. This internship program assisted me a lot to realize my further career for the coming future. Rather than drawing a conclusion, I would like to say that this study was utterly indicative for me for my future career. During the long three months program, in fact most of the sections and departments have been observed by me and I had acquired plenty of understandings about those. I had a great scope to match my theoretical knowledge with practical banking knowledge.
As a private commercial bank, BBL is trying it’s best to extend their service to the public. BBL, Rampura ADC provides all kinds of ATM banking services to its customers. Retail banking department is doing well, rendering all the services related to customer.
It is a great opportunity for me to get used with the operational environment of commercial banking of BBL. I have tried by soul to incorporate the internship report with necessary relevant information. It can be said that Mercantile Bank’s future prospect in the financial sector is good. But it need to change some policy, management should monitor all the work of branch level, take strong decision and implement them.
Related Banking Paper:
Popular Banking Paper:
Thousands of development organizations have gone online in the past five years, having realized the importance of the Internet for the exchange and distribution of information. With the rise in e-commerce activities over the Internet, and the subsequent decline in development aid over the past fi.....
ISLAMIC BANKING CONCEPT, OBJECTIVES & BASIC FEATURES WHAT IS ISLAMIC BANKING? Definition: Islamic banking has been defined in a number of ways. The definition of Islamic bank approved by the General Secretarial of the OIC is staled in the following manner. “An Islamic bank is a financial .....
History of Bank: A bank is a financial institution licensed by a government. Its primary activities include providing financial services to customers while enriching its investors. Many financial activities were allowed over time. The level of government regulation of the banking industry varies .....
Definition of Banking: The term banking is defined as “accepting, for the purpose of lending or investment, of deposits of money from the public, repayable on demand or otherwise and withdrawable by cheque, draft, and order or otherwise”. It is thus clear that the underline principle of busin.....
BRAC Bank Limited, a scheduled commercial Bank, commenced its business operation in Dhaka, Bangladesh on 4th July 2001. The Bank is mainly owned by the largest NGO in Bangladesh BRAC. The Bank has positioned itself as a new generation Bank with a focus to meet diverse financial needs of a growing.....