Job specification at Concord Group
Concord is one of the oldest business houses in Bangladesh and one of the biggest players in the construction and real estate industry. It was founded in 1972. We have successfully handed over more projects to satisfied clients than any other company, over 600 in number and ranging widely in size and cost. We are the market leader in luxury apartments and the first to produce and use environmentally safe and earthquake proof building materials in Bangladesh, materials previously only seen in “wealthy nations.” Many make claims to having the best safety and structural integrity; ours is proven by independent tests carried out by local as well as foreign experts. From our vast experience in construction – building bridges, airports, theme parks etc. we employ the best engineers and most up-to-date construction techniques in Bangladesh today. We have a unique insight into structural engineering and can handle any project of any size or difficulty. Apart from our real estate ventures, we have been entrusted to build many landmark projects in the country, such as:
- The National Monument at Savar
- The Prime Minister’s Secretariat
- Zia International Airport
- The low-rise block of the Sonargaon Pan Pacific Hotel
- CIBA -GEIGY Pharmaceutical Plant at Tongi
- The 200 bed hospital in Narayanganj
- The VVIP Residence at Hare Road
- The VVIP Rest House at Testa Barrage Complex
- The 24 storey Janata Bank Head Office Building
- The administrative building of Bangladesh T&T Board
- The head offices of Titas Gas Transmission & Distribution Co. Ltd.
- Bangladesh Oil, Gas & Mineral Corporation
- Bangladesh Steel and Engineering Corporation
- The 22 storey Jiban Bima Tower
- The 20 storey Bangladesh Shilpa Bank Building(BSB)
- The 20 storey Islamic Development Bank Building in Agargaon
- The 750 ft Telecom Tower in Singapore
- Fantasy Kingdom, Water Kingdom, Foy’s Lake and Zia theme parks
We refuse to compromise on the quality of the structure or the aesthetics which shows in our work and is reflected by our client satisfaction. Our biggest asset is our reputation.
- Lead through innovation & intelligence
- Priorities Customer satisfaction
- Global quality
- Optimal resource utility at all times
- Optimal use of information & technology
- Continuous development & growth of human capital
- Every action of every person to be sincere and profit oriented
- Create environment that drives intelligence amongst all involved
The company’s goal is to achieve market leadership in their existing markets.
Company’s objectives are below: –
- They aims to achieve a market share of at least 30% in each section of branches their existing markets
- They aim to achieve sales growth of 20% per annum with their existing products.
Generate employment and earn dignity and self-respect for their competitors.
A job specification goes beyond a mere description – in addition, it highlights the mental and physical attributes required of the job holder. For example, a job specification for a trainee manager’s post in a retail store included the following:
‘Managers at all levels would be expected to show responsibility. The company is looking for people who are tough and talented. They should have a flair for business, know how to sell, and to work in a team.’
Job analysis, description, and specification can provide useful information to a business in addition to serving as recruitment instruments. For example, staff appraisal is a means of monitoring staff performance and is a feature of promotion in modern companies. In some companies, for example, employees and their immediate line managers discuss personal goals and targets for the coming time period (e.g. the next six months). The appraisal will then involve a review of performance during the previous six months, and setting new targets. Job details can serve as a useful basis for establishing dialogue and targets. Job descriptions can be used as reference points for arbitrating in disputes as to ‘who does what’ in a business. Selection involves procedures to identify the most appropriate candidates to fill posts. An effective selection procedure will therefore take into consideration the following:
- Keeping the costs of selection down making sure that the skills and qualities being sought have been identified, developing a process for identifying them in candidates making sure that the candidates selected, will want the job, and will stay with the company.
- Keeping the costs of selection down will involve such factors as holding the interviews in a location, which is accessible to the interviewing panel, and to those being interviewed. The interviewing panel must have available to them all the necessary documentations, such as application forms available to study before the interviews take place. A short list must be made up of suitable candidates, so that the interviews do not have to take place a second time, with new job advertisements being placed.
The skills required should have been identified through the process of job analysis, description and specification. It is important then to identify ways of testing whether candidates meet these requirements. Testing this out may involve:
- interviewing candidates
- asking them to get involved in simulated work scenarios
- asking them to provide samples of previous work
- getting them to fill in personality and intelligence tests
- giving them real work simulations to test their abilities.
Each Job is detailed in the Job Description format. Each job is unique from the other one. The Job Description manual acts as a dictionary to all the jobs in CONCORD Group.
WORKING RULES, WORKING HOURS & ATTENDANCE
The office will be open to business on all days, other than declared holidays. Friday is the official off day for all CONCORD employees. Office Timings at CONCORD Group for employees are 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM with a lunch break from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. In case of late coming of 3 days there shall be deduction of 1 day General Leave (GL). In case of Leave being exhausted, it will be treated as leave without pay. In addition of that, in case of delay beyond 6 days there will be a 1 day salary deduction for every 3 days delay which was 1 day leave deduction for every 3 days delay.
Coming after 10 AM will recorded as absent for the day if not communicated earlier stating a reason acceptable to Management.
Attendance is to be recorded by each employee by punching at the Electronic Attendance System / signing in the register, maintained by the company at different places.
The 8 national compulsory holidays will be observed, like 21st February, 26th March, 14th April, 1st May, 16th December, Day of Dashami of Durga Puja, Day after Shab e Barat night and Day after Shab e Qadr night.
Rest of the 7 holidays will be for Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-u- Ajha, the exact number of days for each of these Eid will be decided in the 3 days during the festival, and notified to all employees.
Non-Muslims to get 1 day additional to above 7days during their respective Festival time.
Types Of Leave:
- Annual Leave (AL): Annual leave is available to employees to provide opportunity for rest, relaxation, holidays etc.
- General Leave (GL): General leave can be availed by an employee to attend to unforeseen events/exigencies
- Privilege Leave (PL): This leave will be fully at discretion of MD
- Late Start Day
- Maternity Leave
- Leave Without Pay (LWP)
All confirmed employees would be entitled to AL
14 working days for employees who has completed a year of service after the confirmation which may be used in 7, 5, 2 days starting from Saturday but no other alternative will be allowed
Annual Leave cannot be taken in continuation with any festival leave
All confirmed employees would be entitled to GL at the beginning of the year for the following year.
20 working days for employees. However, for first and last year of services, it shall be on prorated basis.
Any unutilized leave will automatically be encashed at the end of a calendar year.
The entire GL is encashable at the end of a year.
GL cannot ordinarily be taken for more 3 days at a time.
Leave will be calculated on the basis of the calendar year. For people joining in the middle of the year, leave will be given on a pro-rata basis
The Company retains the right to not grant leave based on the exigencies of its work
Applicable to employees only at the discretion of MD
Late Start Day
All Govt declared National holidays and all Hartal days. The office will start late by half an hour at 9.30 AM.
Reporting after 10 AM will be treated absent for the day.
Govt declared National holidays and all Hartal days. The office will start 01 to 30 minutes delay is treated as only late
(1 day Leave deduction for 3 days late) 31 minute to 2 hrs delay is treated as 2 hrs leave deduction 2 hrs to lunchtime
is treated as half-day leave deduction After lunch is treated as full day leave deduction
Treatment for uninformed/unapplied leave and attendance
The following is applicable in case of leave not applied: 01 to 30 minutes delay is treated as only late (1 day Leave deduction for 3 days late)
31 minutes to 2 hrs delay is treated as half-day leave deduction 2 hrs to lunchtime is treated as full day leave deduction
After lunch is treated as 2 days leave deduction
All the female employees of the organization who have completed 180 days of continuous service on date of availing such leave are entitled for Maternity Leave.
Maternity Leave is restricted to 2 children only.
The female employees will be entitled to 12 weeks of Maternity leave.
Leave Without Pay
Leave without Pay will be given to employees only in exceptional circumstances purely at the discretion of the Management.
Advance leave will be given to employees only in exceptional circumstances purely at the discretion which could include reasons such as personal sickness or sickness in the immediate family.
Any employee wishing to take Advance leave will need to apply for the same to his/her Head of Department for approval who in turn will forward it to the HRD Department. Only the MD will take the final decision on granting Advance Leave
TRAVEL RULES (Local/OD/Domestic/Foreign)
To make an employee’s official travel comfortable, convenient and cost effective. Further, these rules are framed in such a manner that all the reasonable expenses incurred by an employee while he/she is traveling on Company’s behalf are reimbursed.
To provide guidelines on travel based on the Company’s policy and procedures are pertaining to travel and related expenses within Bangladesh & abroad, to the employees traveling as well as to the Approving Managers.
Travel Sanction & Related Matters
The “Travel Requisition Form” has to be approved / forwarded by the Head of the Department.
Travel Expense Claim
After the travel employees are expected to submit their expense statement supported with actual bills within seven days of return through “Out Station Travel Bill Format”.
Mode of Travel
For areas identified as local, including nearby towns, it shall be treated as local travel. All Manager and above shall be entitled to Company’s/hired car. In case of urgency and if Company’s car is not available the incumbent may use his own car with prior approval of MD and charge on mileage basis. For categories below Manager they will use auto / bus for such local travel.
In case of local business travel (where the Company’s office is located), no traveling expenses will be reimbursed and employees should use Company’s facility. Where it is not available following reimbursement will be done.
If the employee is using his/her own vehicle, a daily quota is allotted to employees
Local traveling expenses from office to residence of the employee or from residence to the office will not be reimbursed.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST POLICY
Policy Applicable to direct Employees
Employees are prohibited from having any direct or indirect personal interests in the Company’s contracts or projects or in vendors or contractors doing or seeking to do business with the Company. A “personal interest” means holding a position, engaging in the activities of, or having a financial stake or ownership interest in any outside business, which does or seeks to do business with the Company.
Company officers are prohibited from engaging in trade of any type other than in their capacities as employees of the Company.
BUSINESS ETHICS POLICY
The Company’s Policy on Business Ethics
The Company shall maintain the highest ethical and legal standards in the conduct of its business; it shall conduct business with strict regard for what is right and proper; it shall be honest and straightforward in all of its dealings; and it should avoid all situations that might give even the appearance of being unethical or illegal.
The Company’s confidential and proprietary business information shall be safeguarded and utilized only in keeping with the best interests of the Company.
HRD to be contacted for more details or any further clarifications.
USAGE OF OFFICE PROPERTIES
All employees are covered under this policy.
The Head of HR. For more details he is to be contacted.
It is expected that all employees who are assigned with any such company property takes proper care in order to protect of from being damage and ensure that the item survives its appropriate life span.
Integrity is the rock upon which CONCORD Group builds its business success – its quality products and services, its forthright relations with customers and suppliers, ultimately its winning competitive record CONCORD Group quest for competitive excellence begins and ends with its commitment to ethical conduct.
All employees are covered under this policy.
Employee Conduct – Discipline
The employee shall serve the Company honestly, faithfully and diligently, always act in the best interest of the Company, abide strictly by the rules and regulations in force from time to time, maintain good conduct and discipline and generally conduct himself / herself in line with the Integrity policy.
Misconduct: Acts of Misconduct that are breaches of discipline are given below. Some examples of Breach in Discipline are as follows:
- Smoking within ‘No Smoking’ zones
- Theft, fraud or dishonesty in connection with the Company
- Taking or giving of bribes or an illegal gratification whatsoever in connection with the Company or in the employee’s own interest
- Willful insubordination or disobedience of any reasonable order of a superior
- Drunkenness, fighting or riotous, disorderly or indecent behavior while on duty or at the place of work
- Habitual neglect of work
- Intentionally damaging Company property
- Public conduct detrimental to the Company image
- Continuous absence without permission and without satisfactory cause for more than ten days
- Giving false information regarding one’s name, age, father’s name, qualification or previous service at the time of the employment
- Leaving work without permission or sufficient reason
- Failure to adhere to the Information Security Policy of the Company
Please note this is just an illustrative list and not an exhaustive one. Any breach of discipline by the employee will lead to disciplinary action.
No employee can, without prior consent of the Company, engage in any other employment or business.
Inventions and Improvements
All inventions, new specifications of rolls, systems developments and enhancements in the manufacturing processes made by employees in the course of their employment belong to the Company, which reserves complete freedom to decide what action, if any, should be taken in respect of any such invention, improvement, development or enhancement.
Employees shall not under any circumstance, whether directly or indirectly, receive or accept for benefit – any commission, rebate, discount, gratification or profit from any person or Organization having business transactions or competition or clash of interest with the Company.
At the Office all male employees are expected to adhere to the formal dress code on working days, which includes formal shirts, trousers and shoes and neckties. Sports shoe and cloths, Check Shirt, Jeans, is not allowed
Ladies will be dressed appropriately in “saris” or “salwar kameez”.
Measures for Misconduct
Types of activities to be treated as misconduct under Offence Categories (OC):
- Breaking Office Timings/late attendance.
- Breaking Dress Code.
- Habitual late attendance
- Personal uncleanliness / personal hygiene
- Untidy desk during and after office hours.
- Disorderly & disorganized work habits noticed by supervisors / colleague
- Loud voiced conversation with colleagues and or in Telephone.
- Gossiping with colleagues during office hours.
- Keeping desk unattended for along time.
- Having food or during while walking inside the office.
- Leaving desk for lunch, tea break before time.
- Not attending to phone calls even after three consecutive rings.
- Not attending to or being inhospitable to guests* in the premises despite whose guest he/she might be.
- Loud laughter and other outbursts.
- Found to be loitering in the wrong place during office hours.
- Playing games of any kind including computer.
- Any word or activity raising doubts towards Management’s commitment regarding being an equal opportunity employer.
- Any one other than employees of CONCORD Group Division is to be considered a guest.
- Habitual Negligence at duty / work.
- Repeated Inefficiency / Incompetence proved for assigned tasks.
- Willful insubordination or disobedience, whether alone or in combination with others, to any lawful or reasonable order of a superior.
- Habitual absence without leave approval.
- Using foul language, abusive words, swearing against any co-worker or clients in the office.
- Intentionally violating an established Company Policy.
- Wrongful judgment on offences (only for whom it is applicable)
- Sleeping during duty.
- Found loitering in wrong place during duty hours.
- Mishandling of any company equipment / property.
- Misusing stationery.
- Damaging of any company property, equipment, stationery etc.
- Damaging / Destroying Company’s Goodwill
- Loosing company property, documents, stationery.
- Smoking within the workplace during office hour or after.
- Drinking (alcoholic/intoxicating substance) within the workplace of premises.
- Usage of controlled substance (drugs of any kind) in the premises.
- Found under influence of alcohol or any controlled substances.
- Theft, fraud or dishonesty in connection with company’s property, business or colleagues
- Taking bribes or any illegal gratification in connection with his / her employment
- Having an affair with co-worker and public display of any such act that is beyond acceptable norms with an office.
- Violence at workplace; physical assaults of any kind.
- Falsifying, tampering with, damaging or causing loss of company’s officer records, documents etc.
- Riotous or disorderly behavior in workplace or any act subversive of discipline
- Any commotion that may gather more than 5 persons around it
- Frequent repetition of any act or commission for which a fine may be imposed
- Resorting to illegal strike, go slow or inciting others to resort to same.
In conclusion, the new challenges in the area of personnel functions will largely be of two types: (1) Expansion of Role Boundaries of Personnel Functions and (2) Enriched professionalism.
Expansion of Role Boundaries
Pre-occupation with the administrative and legalistic duties of Personnel function will progressively give way to more in-depth professional work, intervention and application in such areas as scientific selection, placement, training, job analysis and work design, institutionalization of participatory forums and compensation plans with special reference to linking rewards to productivity. Other productivity oriented techniques in demand would be those like M.B.O., Zero defect, Quality circles, introduction of Scientific Performance Appraisal System, revitalization of internal structure and processes, new strategies of Conflict Resolution and other organizational development efforts.
In other words, Personnel Management will have a role in influencing the total organizational behaviour, taking into consideration the needs of both organization and human system.
In order to meet the emerging challenges, the personnel People have to equip themselves better with skills in dealing with the human side of the enterprise. Instead of taking decisions based on manifest issues, they should be able to delve into the process level. Once they are equipped with the above skills and orientation, they will be able to develop a professional identity of their own and they would be able to go in for management applications based on Behavioural Science and Technology, which requires greater professional preparedness and attitudes conducive for continuous acquisition of new knowledge and techniques available in the field.
The role of the HR manager must parallel the needs of the changing organization. Successful organizations are becoming more adaptable, resilient, quick to change directions, and customer-centered. Within this environment, the HR professional must learn how to manage effectively through planning, organizing, leading and controlling the human resource and be knowledgeable of emerging trends in training and employee development.
Human Resources Management presents special challenges for the Human Resources leader in organizations. Effective Human Resources Management requires special HR tools, special approaches to management, and access to professional Human Resources associations, education, and publications. Learn more about all aspects of management specific to Human Resources management.
In present competitive and dynamic environment, human resource are now being viewed as the most valuable mean for gaining advantages over other. Competitive advantages can only be achieved by building up highly motivated and skilled employees. To fulfill the vision, mission, and core objectives of a company the management has needed to established a effective and efficient human resource department and hired the confident and most promising professionals.
This thesis work has attempted to explain the job satisfaction and as well as Human Resource Management that are followed by the CONCORD group.
If CONCORD group adopts some new policy regarding compensating employees, recruitment and selection on the basis of salary survey and job analysis, we hope CONCORD group can be a market dominant and have skill employee for higher productivity to meet millennium goal.