Conflict is not a single event; it is progressive by nature. Generally there are four phases of conflict. In the first (latent) stage, conflict is hidden. Over time, the conflict is brought to the surface.
A conflict has five phases.
- Prelude to conflict – It involves all the factors which possibly arise a conflict among individuals. Lack of coordination, differences in interests, dissimilarity in cultural, religion, educational background all are instrumental in arising a conflict.
- Triggering Event – No conflict can arise on its own. There has to be an event which triggers the conflict. Jenny and Ali never got along very well with each other. They were from different cultural backgrounds, a very strong factor for possibility of a conflict.Ali was in the mid of a presentation when Jenny stood up and criticized him for the lack of relevant content in his presentation, thus triggering the conflict between them.
- Initiation Phase – Initiation phase is actually the phase when the conflict has already begun. Heated arguments, abuses, verbal disagreements are all warning alarms which indicate that the fight is already on.
- Differentiation Phase – It is the phase when the individuals voice out their differences against each other. The reasons for the conflict are raised in the differentiation phase.
- Resolution Phase – A Conflict leads to nowhere. Individuals must try to compromise to some extent and resolve the conflict soon. The resolution phase explores the various options to resolve the conflict.
Conflicts can be of many types like verbal conflict, religious conflict, emotional conflict, social conflict, personal conflict, organizational conflict, community conflict and so on.
Conflicts and fighting with each other never lead to a conclusion. If you are not on the same line as the other individual, never fight, instead try your level best to sort out your differences. Discussion is always a better and wiser way to adopt rather than conflicts.
- Study on Employee Turnover in Business and Service Organization
- Job Enrichment
- Define and Describe Performance Appraisal
- Report on The Recruitment and Selection Process of Prime Bank Ltd
- Aptitude Test for Employee Recruitment and Selection
- Human Resources Management of National Cradit and Commerce Bank Limited