Font Office Operation on Hotel Quality Inn
In partial fulfillment of the requirements of the Bachelor Tourism and Hospitality Management (B T H M) program of Victory university of Bangladesh, this research Report is prepared under the guidance and supervision of Lecturer Taraque Ahmed Khan and submitted to Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management for evaluation.In partial fulfillment of the requirements of the Bachelor Tourism and Hospitality Management (B T H M) program of Victory university of Bangladesh, this research Report is prepared under the guidance and supervision of Lecturer Taraque Ahmed Khan and submitted to Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management for evaluation.
I do here by declare that the entire report is submitted as a part of intern requirement in the BTHM programmed in the Tourism and Hospitality Department in the Victoria University of Bangladesh is my independent and original work and all other references have been motioned here in it.
This research is design to understanding the Front office operation and its performance. The aims of the study are making a report regarding the internship which I have done in Hotel quality Inn. And providing an idea about the front office operation to the students of Victory University of Bangladesh.
The plan of this report is to achieve goals and objectives of the report using all things which I have know and learnt from practical work with the help of theoretical knowledge.
First of ill I would like to thank my almightily Allah, my creator and my sustainer, for energizing helps to prepare this report successfully in a short time.
I would like to express my heartiest thank to each an every teacher of the faculty of Tourism and Hospitality Management of Victoria University of Bangladesh who helped me a lot of from various ways.
I would like to give my sincere thanks to every associates of the Hotel Quatity INN for their kind co-operation and constructive, guidance, positive suggestions, proper help and inspiration to prepare this study without which it would not been possible in these short period.
I also deeply acknowledge Lecturer Taraque Ahmed Khan and also my teacher for their direct and indirect contributions in preparing this of all I am grateful to my respective parents all of other family and well-wishers for their inspirations that led me go to ahead.
Methodology of study
At the period of period of preparing this report, I have observed the entire front desk operation in Hotel Quality Inn. And I got information form the respective officers at certain period.
For attaining the Bachelor Tourism and Hospitality Management (BTHM) degree, internship is prerequisite because of gathering the practical experience in the other job sector. Internship is pragmatic step for the student of BTHM holder. To fulfill the purpose I had to go to Hotel Quality Inn. Dhaka. Which I faced extraordinary experiences during the internship period which was approximately ten to twelve weeks lengths. The study covers all types of data based on both primary and secondary data. The primary date are collected from face to face discussion with the help of the officials of various position of Front desk office.
secondary information has been collected from published materials pertinent to the study.
These are data one facts, figures and other relevant material, past and present serving as basis for study and analysis.
About Hotel Quality Inn
Hotel Quality Inn is an exclusive hotel in Dhaka of Bangladesh. Our Hotel is situated Just minutes away from Gulshen club. Hotel quality provides of elegant, contemporary Luxury.
Target Markets – Consumer
Now traveling to the area
Middle and upper income bracket
Returning visitors to the area
Businesses needing to hold small overnight planning and strategy sessions
Regional foregone guest
Promotion strategies will very depending on the target market segments of word of mouth referrals among all market segments when choosing a getaway hotel or small business meeting location, our efforts are designed to and build referrals. A cost effective campaign – focused on direct marketing,
A direct marketing (direct mail) package consisting of a trio-fold brochure, letter of introduction, and replay card send to a list of potential guests.
Features & Facilities
- Individual Remote Controlled Air-Conditioned Rooms.
- IDD Telephone
- Mini Fridge
- Hot & Cold water
- Shower Encloser
- All the necessary Guest Supplies produces from overseas
- Laundry Service
- 24 Hours Front Desk
- 24 Hour Room Service
- Breadfast, Launch & Dinner are served in the restaurant
- Mini Bar in the room
- Smoke Detectors are fitted all over the Hotel-connected to modern fire prevention control system
- Fully computerized Hotel Billing System
- Car Service
- Gift Shop
- Doctor on call
- Internet facilities in the room
WHAT IS A HOTEL?
A HOTEL IS AN ENTERPRISE
Created by people
Managed by people
Organizing marketing 4 selling of
Products and services
To the customer
MAIN OBJECTIVE OF HOTELS
TYPES OF HOTEL COMPANIES
A) international corporate hotels
B) major national hotel companies
C) small hotel group
D) independent hotel
1. I.D. NO. IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head Receptionist Front Office Manager
PLACE OF WORK : Reception Front Office
SPECIAL LIAISON Reservations Clerk
OVERALL JOB FUNCTION:
To receive guests into Hotel and carry out basic reception and book-keeping procedures, to ensure smooth operation of Front Office system.
- Being full)’ familiar with all Hotel facilities, tariffs, etc
- Dealing efficiently with all reception and accounting procedures as laid down by the Front Office Manager.
- Ensuring all letters, messages and telephone calls for guests are passed quickly and efficiently.
- Dealing politely and efficiently with guests’ queries and complaints
- Working in an organised and tidy fashion – maintaining cleanliness ir the working area.
- Being responsible for personal hygiene and cleanliness of uniform.
- Operating Switchboard efficiently when necessary.
- Being able to handle Advance Reservations procedure when necessary
- Operating Fax, Telex, Photocopier/Bleep, PA and Background Musi System.
- Having knowledge of procedures for Fire and Bomb Threats an xang able to act accordingly.
- Any other duties as designated by the Front Office Manager.
ATTRIBUTIES OF A RECEPTIONIST
- YEARNING TO BE
- A GOOD LEADER
- SENSE OF
- ORDERLY MIND
R – Reassurance the guest is in unfamiliar surroundings.
E – Eye contact with the guest – look and listen.
C – Courtesy towards the guest at all times – smile be
pleasant & natural
E – Even toned pleasant voice – speak clearly.
P – Patience at all times even on the telephone.
T – Tact displayed when dealing with guests.
I – Interest shown hi guests’ questions add requests.
O – Organized – the front office is a vital link with the hotel
N – Neat; at ail times while on. duty and on front desk.
I – Informative – a knowledge of hotel facilities is
S – Smart in appearance uniforms should he well eared
for at all times.
T – Tidy’ charts ‘and other documents must he neat and.
- Cheerful smiling voice and careful pronunciation
2. Make a connection immediately when a call conies in
3. Give a greeting
– time of the day
– policy of the company
– special greeting
4. Do not disappear and leave your guest to talk to himself
5. Do not interrupt but listen to the guest
Do not rush or sound nervous or impatient
6. Be polite and friendly when making…
questions and giving advise
Thank the guest, use polite phrases
8. Do not forget the guest to hang en the line,
return every 30 seconds
9. take a message and deliver it,
be accurate, repeat it
10. Inform about the phonecall before
connecting it, when ever possible
especially, when connecting to
– VIP guests
11. Keep a pen, notepaper, message forms
always available by each phone.
12. Avoid personal calls and keeping the phone occupied for a long period
13. Prepare guest information material for
the manual of the telephone operator
– emergency numbers
– internal telephone numbers
– long distance call telephone charges
If after making a calculation of 1) No. of cancellations
2) No show
3) Early departure, these seem to be excessive then when all accommodation booked P.O. Manager will make the decision to over book.
No. of cancellation + no show + early departure
—————————————————— x 100% = 16/200 x 100% = 8%
No. of rooms reserved
If total rooms are 300, then the overbooking is 8% = 24000 mg
If the booking allowed is *% of total rooms, the figure of 24 rooms is then noted on reservation charts.
FRONT OFFICE TERMINOLOGY
|This term is used to describe the full tariff rate for accommodation|
Room and breakfast
A percentage is deducted from the rack rate ;
Hotels often quote a special rate for functions, groups, tours, businessmen or certain organizations who use the hotel on a regular basis.
Room and breakfast
This term is used to describe full board terms, to include accommodation, breakfast, luncheon, afternoon tea and dinner
The same as American plan
Room, breakfast and one main meal
This term is used to describe the charge for accommodation only
Accommodation, breakfast and one main meal, either luncheon or dinner
The time of year when business is at its quietest, usually the winter months when the lowest tariff prices are quoted.
The time of year, usually the holiday and summer periods, when the highest tariff prices are quoted.
1. Establish who the message is for.
2. Write down a message accurately with all the relevant details.
• Think what the recipient needs to know
• Be concise
• Make sure the facts are correct
The most common mistakes when taking down messages over the phone are:
• Missing out a figure from a telephone number
• Forgetting to take the caller’s telephone number
3. Repeat the message back to the caller.
4. Pass on the message immediately, or as soon as possible.
5. Check if possible that the recipient has understood
Deference between written messages & verbal messages
WRITTEN MESSAGES VERBAL MESSAGES
|ARE PERMANENT||MAY NEVER BE PASSED ON|
|ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE ACCURATE|
|MAY GET DISTORTED IN THE TELLING|
|HELP MAKE SURE YOU DONT FORGET THE DETAILS||MAY MISS OUT IMPORTANT FACTS|
|CAN BE REFERRED TO LATER||ARE DIFFICULT TO CHECK FOR ACCURACY|
1. GRAND-MASTER KEY
Opens all doors in a hotel, also double-locks doors. – held by general manager
2. MASTER KEY
Opens all doors but does not double lock doors and cannot open d.l. Doors. –held by the executive housekeeper and duty Manager
3. SUB-MASTER KEYS
opens a particular floor, usually used by room-attendant, floor supervisor, and room-service
4. SECTION KEY
Will only open a certain amount of rooms i.e. Room attendants section
KEYS PRECAUTIONS FOR
FRONT OFFICE PERSONNEL
1) Do not hand out keys indiscriminately
2) Do not give out room number and guest
3) Give keys only to registered guests
4) Be familiar with your own
establishments policy on keys
5) Retrieve keys from guest.
ACTION ON DISCOVERING A FIRE
- Don’t panic;
- Move to safe place
- Raise the alarm and call the fire brigade
- Help others from the fire area
- Coles doors to reduce the spread of smoke and fumes which can spread easily throughout the building
- Ensure that others in the building have been warned and are being helped to escape to a safe area
- Return to fight the fire only if safe and you have been trained to do so. If you require to open a door, touch the surface to ensure that the fire has not spread out of control. If the door is already ht-you would :be wise to, await, the arrival of
- If you do approach the fire, ensure that you have a safe route of escape
- Other than :the saving of human life, there is little that can be worth the risk of re-entering a danger area
- Await the arrival of the fire services
To calculate the room occupancy percentage accurately, the number of rooms out of service (OSS) for any reason such as maintenance or redecorating must be deducted from the total number of rooms in the hotel.
Total number of rooms in hotel 200
Less number of rooms OS 18
Number of rooms available for letting 182
Number of rooms occupied 135 x 100 = 74 2%
Number of rooms for let 182 1
Room occupancy percentage = 74.2%
Methods of payments
There are several ways of payment.- It is very convenient for customers to choose one of them according to their situation and preferences. The payments ways are following.
2) Foreign Currency
4) Credit card
5 Transfer to Ledger
6) Traveler’s cheques
7) Travel agent’s voucher
A bank dishonors a cheque by stamping it ‘RD’ which means refer to drawer. The bank can do this for any of the following reasons:
(a) Insufficient funds in the account of the drawer.
(b) No signature.
(c) Words and figures do not agree.
(d) Incorrect signature.
(e) Mutilated cheque.
(f) State cheque more than six months old.
(g) If the drawer dies.
Design For The Disabled
Various design considerations must be given to allow the disabled guest to gain access and these include:
- Special parking for disabled car drivers
- Entrance ramps for wheel chairs
- Widening of doors and accessible door lock facilities
- Bedrooms and bathrooms should have sufficient space for the mobility of the wheel chair.
- Fitting and fixtures must be a convenient height
- Signs should be easy to read in large lettering
- Flash type lighting for the deaf and a vibrator to alert them when they are asleep
- Properly designed hand rails on stairs and corridors
Business center: we have a well furnished business center with world class equipment. Here we provide services what is required by guest.
Here those equipments are available……..
- And obviously computer with internet service
Hotel Quality Inn has with equipped conference hall with internet projector, sound system and many other facilities on 1st floor. 15-20 persons can us tins hall for meeting.
Transport: 24 hours transport facilities are available here with multilingual staffs. And it makes travel more comfortable. Guest can rent a ear from here with different policy such as……
• Full day basis
• Half day basis
• Kilometer basis
• Hour basis
• Only drop
Guest will choose what ever he or she need.
Message: This slip is use when we have to keep message for our guest, we use this slip to make our system of keeping message is more repayable. Here we keep the name of person for whome the message is, his room no and that person who want to give message, his address, phone, type of message. message details, and the most important thing when the message is get that is date, time and received by whome..
1) Quality services are hampered by traince staff.
2) Napolism is a prime fact while reccreeing new staff.
3) Traince staffs are not enough efficient to Landle telephone call——–
4) Lack of efficiency for prepanceng duty Roster.
5) Most of the bill prepanations are done by front desk staff although it is the responsibility of accounts depertment.
1) Hotel business requires hning some impressive and disnlinglive attraction and servises. Although Hotel Quality inn provides sailent surrounding and attractive decorations, but their services are not up to the mark as they promised to the guest. I think from my observation that they should try to provide best services as committed to the guest.
2) Napotism is one of the major problems that I obsenved in Hotel Quality Inn. As a hospitality service providing institution, it is essential to ensure equal employment opportuing in reeruiting staff. So, Hotel Quality Inn should practice equal employment opportunity for staff to provide committed services to the guest.
3) Their is a tendency of Hotel Quality Inn management to operate that front jesk department by trainee staff. I think this is a prime reason for service deterioration. So they should try to avaid this onentality to Improve best guest satisfaction by recruiting professional staff from vanious tinning institute.
It is very clear to us that Front desk is the nerve centre of a Hotel. As we know that when guest comes to a hotel that time he or she meets at frist to a person which beloned to front desk. So, it is inevitable to give good impnession for the guest to .