Organization Profile of EXIM Bank Limited:
EXIM Bank Limited was established under the rules & regulations of Bangladesh bank & the Bank companies’ Act 1991, on the 3rd August 1999 with the leadership of Late Mr. Shahjahan Kabir, founder chairman who had a long dream of floating a commercial bank which would contribute to the social-economic development of our country. He had a long experience as a good banker. A group of highly qualified and successful entrepreneurs joined their hands with the founder chairman to materialize his dream. In deed, all of them proved themselves in their respective business as most successful star with their endeavor, intelligence, hard working and talent entrepreneurship. Among them, Mr. Md. Nazrul Islam Mazumder became the honorable chairman after the demise of the honorable founder chairman.
Of its very beginning, EXIM Bank Bangladesh limited was known as BEXIM Bank, which stands for Bangladesh Export Import Bank Limited. But for some legal constraints the bank renamed as EXIM Bank, which means Export Import Bank Of Bangladesh Limited.
The bank starts its functioning from 3rd August 1999 with Mr. Alamgir Kabir, FCA as the advisor and Mr. Mohammad Lakiotullah as the Managing Director. Both of them have long experience in the financial sector of our country. By their pragmatic decision and management directives in the operational activities, this bank has earned a secured and distinctive position in the banking industry in terms of performance, growth, and excellent management.
Nature of Business:
The principal activities of the bank are providing all kinds of commercial Banking Services to its customers.
The other activities of the bank are providing of all kinds of Islamic banking services to its customers.
The Bank has chalked out the following corporate objectives in order to ensure smooth achievement of its goals:
- To be most caring and customer friendly and service oriented bank.
- To create a technology based most efficient banking environment for its customer,
- To ensure ethics and transparency at all levels.
- To ensure sustainable growth and established full value to the honorable stakeholders and
- Above all, to add effective contribution to the national economy.
Eventually the bank also emphasizes on:
- Provide high quality financial service in export and import trade.
- Providing efficient customer service
- Maintaining corporate and business ethics
- Being the trusted repository of customers money and their financial adviser
- Making its products superior and rewarding to the customers
- Display term spirit and professionalism
- Sound Capital Base
- Enhancement of shareholders wealth
- Fulfilling its social commitment by expanding its charitable and humanitarian activities
Corporate Slogan of EXIM Bank- “Together Towards Tomorrow”:
EXIM Bank Ltd. as the name implies, is not a new type of bank in some countries on the global, but is the first of its kind in Bangladesh. It believes in togetherness with its customers, in its march on the road to growth and progress with services. To achieve the desired goal, it has intention to pursuit of excellence at all stages with a climate of continuous improvement. Because it believes, the line of excellence is never ending. It also believes that its strategic plan and business networking will strengthen its competitive edge over in rapidly changing competitive environment. Its personalized quality services to the customers with the trend of constant improvement might be cornerstone to achieve its operational success.
This bank is one of the most disciplined banks with a distinctive corporate culture. Here we believe in shared meaning, shared meaning and shared sense making. Our people can see and understand events, activities, objects and situation in a distinctive way. They mould their manners and etiquette, character individually to suit the purpose of the bank and the needs of the customers who are of paramount importance to us. The people in the bank see themselves as a tight knit team that believes in working together for growth. The corporate culture we belong has not been imposed; it has rather been achieved through our corporate conduct.
Values of EXIM Bank Limited:
To be one EXIM by holding and guiding the following values:
- To have a strong customer focus and to build relationship based on integrity, superior service and mutual benefit.
- To strive for private and sound growth.
- To work as a team to serve the best interests of the organization.
- To work for continues business innovation and improvements.
- To value and respect people and make decisions based on merit.
- To provide recognition and reward on performance.
- To value open and honest communication.
The sponsors of EXIM Bank Limited are highly successful leading entrepreneurs of the country having stakes in different segments of the national economy. They are eminent industrialists and businessmen having wide business reputation both at home and abroad.
This is the civil supervisory aspect that shapes the Bank’s main feature. Its existence is part of the Shariah Supervision procedures. One of its main tasks is to check the Shariah compliancy in the Bank’s transactional procedures in accordance to the Fatwas issued in that regard, under the guidance of the Shariah Supervisor.
The Shariah auditor is assigned the task of revising the Bank’s transactional procedures throughout the year to check the extent to which the staff members and the different departments have abided by the regulations. Advices and Fatwas issued by the Fatwa & Shariah Supervision Board, forums, & banking conferences. As well as, assuring that all the contracts that states a right for the Bank or an obligation on the Bank is certified by the Fatwa & Shariah Supervision Board.
Moreover, the Shariah Auditing submits periodic reports to the Shariah Supervisor in order to be proposed to the Fatwa & Shariah Supervision Board to state what is finds appropriate in that regard.
- To manage and operate the Bank in the most efficient manner to enhance financial performance and to control cost of fund.
- To strive for customer satisfaction through quality control and delivery of timely services.
- To identify customers credit and other banking needs and monitor their perception towards our performance in meeting those requirement.
- To review and update policies, procedures and practices to enhance the ability to extend better services to customers.
- To train and develop all employees and provide adequate resources so that customer needs can be responsibly addressed.
- To promote organizational effectiveness by openly communicating company plans, policies, practices and procedures to all employees in a timely fashion.
- To cultivate a working environment that fosters positive motivation for improved performance
- To increase direct contract with customers in order to cultivate a closer relationship between the bank and its customers.
Banking with Principles:
Export Import Bank of Bangladesh Limited is the 1st bank in Bangladesh who has converted all of its operations of conventional banking into sharah-based banking since July/2004. We offer banking services for Muslims and non-Muslims alike allowing our customers choice and flexibility in their savings and investments. Our products are approved by our Shariah Board comprising of veteran Muslim scholars of our country who are expert in all matters of Islamic finance.
The process by which Noriba’s investments are designed and executed allows the Bank to offer a combination of Shariah compliance and capital markets expertise that is unique throughout the world.
Noriba is committed to the strict adherence to the requirements of the Shariah as a result of the Bank’s sole focus on Shariah-compliant investments and the full supervision of its financial products and transactions by the Noriba Shariah Board. Noriba experts specifically design each of the Bank’s investment vehicles with the approval of the Noriba Shariah Board. Once the given product or transaction has been arranged, the Noriba Shariah Board carefully screens it for compliance before giving final approval for its implementation. This control mechanism guarantees that all aspects of Noriba’s final products and banking transactions are in adherence with the guidelines of the Shariah.
EXIM Bank Ltd. was incorporated as a public Limited company on the 2nd June 1999 under Company Act 1994. The Bank started commercial banking operations effective from 3rd august 1999. During this short span of time the Bank has been successful to position itself as a progressive and dynamic financial institution in the country.
The Bank widely acclaimed by the business community, from small business/entrepreneurs to large traders and industrial conglomerates, including the top rated corporate borrower from forward-looking business outlook and innovative financing solution. In year 2007 EXIM Bank ltd. made commendable in all business arenas like Deposit, Credit, Fund Management, Investment and Foreign Exchange related business.
Target Market for Loans and Advances
- Agro processing industry
- Textile spinning, Dyeing/printing
- Export oriented Garments, Sweater
- Foods & Allied
- Paper & products
- Engineering steel mills
- Chemical, Pharmaceuticals etc.
- Computer Software and information technology
- Manufacturing of artificial flowers
- Oil & gas
- Jewelry and diamond cutting and polishing
- Liquefied petroleum Gas (LPG)
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
- Small and Medium Enterprises (SME)
Product or service offer by bank
- Retail Banking
- Deposit taking including special schemes.
- Remittance and collection
- Import and Export handling and financing
- Corporate Banking
- Loan syndication
- Project Finance
- Investment Banking
- Consumer Credit
- Three Themes for Growth
- Introducing Card Network and electronic banking.
- Expanding personalized services
- Building strong presence in the market with reputation.
Performance of EXIM Bank:
EXIM Bank Ltd. was incorporated as a public Limited company on the 2nd June 1999 under Company Act 1994. The Bank started commercial banking operations effective from 3rd August 1999. During this short span of time the Bank has been successful to position itself as a progressive and dynamic financial institution in the country.
The Bank widely acclaimed by the business community, from small business/entrepreneurs to large traders and industrial conglomerates, including the top rated corporate borrowers from forward-looking business outlook and innovative financing solutions.
The bank started with an authorized capital of Tk. 100 million in 1999 and as on 31st December 2005 paid up capital stood at Tk. 878.85 million. The paid up capital stood at Tk. 3373.96 million as on 31st December 2009.
Analysis of capital structure:
Capital structure of EXIM Bank has changed from year to year. The components of the capital structure are paid-up capital; proposed issue of dividend, share premium, statutory reserve, proposed cash dividend, retained earnings and other reserve.
Authorized and paid up capital of EXIM Bank:
|Authorized Capital (TK) In Million||Year||Paid Up Capital (Tk.) In Million|
Reserve fund and other reserve:
In the year 2005 the total reserve was tk. 569.99 in million, but in the year 2006, it was increased on tk. 240.89 in million. So in the year 2006 was tk. 810.88 in million, at the year of 2009 it is reached at tk. 2,092.97 in million.
|Year||Amount ( Taka in millions)|
Deposit is one of the principal sources of fund for investment of commercial banks and investment of deposit is the main stream of revenue in banking business. The total deposit of the bank stood at Tk.41, 546.57 million as on December 2007 against Tk. 35,032.02 million of the previous year which is an increase of 18.60%. This growth rate may be termed as a remarkable achievement for the bank. The present strategy is to increase the deposit base through maintaining competitive rates of profit and having low cost of funds.
Deposit Position of EXIM Bank:
|Year||Amount of Deposit ( tk. in Millions)|
Total investment of the bank was tk. 68,609.91 million as on 31st December 2009 against tk. 53,637.68 million as on 31 December 2008 showing an increase of tk. 14,972.23 million with a growth rate of 27.91%. The Bank Follows appropriate Investment Risk Analysis while approving investments to Customer in order to maintain quality of assets.
|Year||Amount (TK In Millions)|
Investment in Share and Securities:
The size of the investment portfolio as on 31st December 2009 was tk. 2,169.44 million (excluding investment in subsidiary) million while it was tk. 2,894.02 million in 2008. The portfolio comprises mainly of Bangladesh Government Islamic Investment Bond and Shares of different companies.
|Year||Amount (TK In Millions)|
The total import business handled by the bank during the year 2005 was Tk.41432.10 million as compared to Tk. 26781.70 million in the previous year an increase. The significant items of imports were industrial raw materials, consumer goods, machinery, Fabrics and accessories etc. As on 31st December, 2009 EXIM bank opened 36,834 letters of credit and the import volume stood at tk. 83,911.51 million with previous year of tk. 78,540.49 million.
Handling the amount of Import Business:
|Year||Amount (TK in Millions)|
The total volume of export handled by the bank during 2005 was TK. 31285.37 million compared to TK. 22418.40 Million in the previous year are an increase. As on 31st December, 2009, the Bank handled 33,575 export bills for tk.76, 240.77 million while it was tk. 76,465.62 million in the previous year.
Handling the amount of Export Business:
Table no- 07
|Year||Amount (TK in Millions)|
Launching of Islami Banking:
Considering the inherent desire of the religious Muslims, EXIM Bank has launched Islami Banking system and inaugurates two Islami Banking Branches in the year 2002. The Islami Banking branches perform their activities under the guidance and supervision of a body called “SHARIAH COUNCIL”.
The SWIFT services helped the bank in sending and receiving the messages and instructions related to our NOSTRO account operations and L/C related matters. We have brought 6 of our Branches under SWIFT network. Other Branches will come under the network hopefully by the year 2004. Besides we have BKE arrangements with 430 Bank Branches in 100 countries.
Functions of EXIM Bank limited:
- To maintain all types of deposit A/Cs.
- To make investment.
- To conduct foreign exchange business.
- To conduct other Banking services.
- To work for continues business innovation and improvements
The main features of EXIM online Banking are as follows:
- Centralized Database
- Platform Independent
- Real time any branch banking
- Internet banking interface
- ATM interface
- Corporate MIS facility
Management of EXIM Bank
For any financial and non- financial organization, management is the most valuable and important resources of any kind of organization. And a well-organize management provides the organization to reach its ultimate goal. Management means planning, organizing, staffing, directing and controlling of all financial and non- financial resources of an organization. Different aspect of management practice in EXIM Bank is discussed below.
EXIM Bank has done its planning within the preview of the corporate plan. The overall planning approach in EXIM Bank is top down. Each branch can plan according to the goal imposed by the corporate level. It doesn’t plan independently. And EXIM Bank has a planning division. This department is mainly responsible for the overall planning.
EXIM Bank is organized as per the existing business locations. It has twenty-four branches each of which is a separate entity. Each unit is responsible for own performance and a senior vice president (SVP) followed by Manager Heads each. He is responsible for the performance of their unit.
The recruitment in EXIM Bank is done in two ways. One as a ‘probationary officer’ for the management program and it has a probation period of one year. Another one is non-management level as ‘Trainee Officers’. Probationary officer’ is recruited in officer category and their career path is headed towards different managerial jobs.
Directing and controlling
The management approach in EXIM Bank is top down. Information just seeks through lower management layer. Works are designed in such a way that one cannot leave without clearing the tasks as he is assigned for a day. Sitting arrangement in all office is done in a way that the superior can monitor the subordinate all time. Budgeting, rewarding, punishing, etc. are also practiced as control mechanism.
Human Resource practices in EXIM Bank
Employees are the core resource of any organization. Without them, one cannot run their organization. And human resources approach is concerned with the growth and development of people toward higher level of competency, creativity and fulfillment. It helps employees become better, more responsible person, and then it tries to create a climate in which they may contribute to the limits of their improved abilities. It assumes that expanded capabilities and opportunities for people will lead directly to
improvements in operating effectiveness. Essentially, the human resources approach means that better people achieve better results.
The set-vice rule of EXIM Bank states the recruitment policy of the bank. In general the board of directors determines the recruitment policy of the bank from time to time. The minimum entry-level qualification for any official position other than supportive management is a Bachelors degree.
EXIM Bank at a Glance:
Name: Export Import Bank of Bangladesh Limited
Essence: Local Bank Global Network
Nature of Business: Banking service and Profit oriented
Registered office: “SYMPHONY”
Plot No. SE (F): 9, Road No. 142
Gulshan Avenue, Dhaka-1212, Bangladesh
PABX: 880-2-9889363, Fax: 880-2-9889358
Date of Incorporate: June 02, 1999
Inauguration of first branch: August 03, 1999.
Chairman: Md. Nazrul Islam Mazumder
Secretary: Mr.Md. Golam Mahbub
Advisor: Alamgir Kabir, FCA
Managing Director: Mr. Kazi Masihur Rahman
Credit Rating: Long Term `AA-` (High Safety)
Short Term `ST-2` (High Grade)
Notification of Reporting June 02, 2010
Number of Branches: 55
Total Manpower: 1440
Authorized Capital: Tk.10000 million
Paid up Capital: Tk. 3373.96 million (Up to June 2009)
Reserve Fund: Tk. 2092.97 million (Up to June 2009)
Five Years Financial Performance at a glance of EXIM Bank Ltd.
Table no- 08
|06.||Investment(Shares & Bonds)||1633.03||2233.25||2457.72||2894.02||2169.44|
|07.||Foreign Exchange Business||72940.00||96175.10||117900.14||156434.57||162604.61|
|a) Import Business||41432.00||49596.70||61399.40||78540.49||83911.51|
|b) Export Business||31285.00||46234.60||55790.42||76465.62||76240.77|
|08||Investment as a % of total Deposit||91.97%||93.18%||96.75%||93.14%||92.92%|
|09||No. of Foreign Correspondent||222||246||256||278||333|
|11||Total Capital ( Tier I +Tier II)||2179.81||3467.37||4569.56||5763.89||7718.89|
|14||Total Contingent liability||15941.53||18994.09||22632.65||26070.57||30109.11|
|15||Total Risk weighted Assets||25681.45||32401.36||40706.47||53428.99||69058.87|
|16||Total Fixed Assets||166.98||178.43||200.70||293.53||381.98|
|19||Profit before provision and tax||1175.76||1378.67||1908.20||2518.39||3181.78|
|20||Profit before Tax||1063.30||1199.49||1618.80||1989.55||2802.12|
|21||Net Profit after provision and tax||555.34||650.29||930.84||1096.63||1694.10|
|22||Profit earning asset||28743.43||35161.48||42357.65||56192.52||69006.56|
|23||Non profit earning asset||4973.27||6632.07||9145.38||12253.94||17206.81|
|24||Capital adequacy ratio||8.49%||10.70%||11.23%||10.79%||11.18%|
|26||Cost of fund||8.08%||9.17%||9.07%||9.52%||9.09%|
|27||Net asset value per share||217.61||181.57||188.71||186.32||199.09|
|28||Earring per share||48.61||43.38||34.76||40.95||50.21|
|29||Price earnings ratio||8.10||7.74||9.09||7.85||7.52|
SWOT Analysis of EXIM Bank Ltd.
SWOT is an acronym for the internal Strength and Weakness of the firm and the environmental Opportunity and Threat facing that firm. So, if we consider EXIM bank as a business firm and analyze its strength, weakness, opportunity and threats the scenario will be as follows:
Letter of credit
- Obtain suppliers credit report in the future where applicable.
- Obtain original money receipt in all cases positively.
- Fill up all blank L/C and L/CA opening forms and affix stamps.
- Realize the shortfall amount immediately. Please also obtain original money receipt against Marine Insurance cover note.
- L/C margin realized after one month. Please avoid such irregularities in future.
- 1. LIM
- It is very much objectionable that the branch has no control over the LIM goods. All accounts are running unadjusted for more than 250 days. In some accounts no deposit has been made since creation of LIM. All these irregularities are not acceptable. Arrange to get the accounts adjusted immediately & until that time ensure branches control over the goods under LIM.
- It has been found in some cases that the officer in charge has created the Lim exceeding the limit, which is a violation of Head Office sanction letter. In some case it has been found that present liability is running for more than 423 days which is total violation of banking rule.
- In some cases some accounts has become overdue.
- In some cases it has been found that charge documents are not complete. And also insurance policies of LIM goods are not properly maintained.
2. Payment against Document (PAD)
- L/C opened with short margins. Please realize the short full amount. The account which is running unadjusted for 996 days which is not desirable, pursue with the BLA for early disposal of the case.
- Realize the short full and get the account adjusted without further delay.
- It has been found that trust receipt exceeding the limit. All accounts are running for more than 428 days.
- Pursue the borrower for adjustments of the accounts.
- Do not create LTR in a single Account. It has been advised to create separate LTR for each transaction.
- No repayment has been observed since creation of LTR.
- Do not allow any PC without Head office approval. Adjust all the accounts outstanding from respective export precede as per rule.
Back to back L/C
- Please mention us Head Office approval against the facilities. Please get the liabilities adjusted immediately and ensure not to open any L/C without Head Office permission in future.
- Head Office approval for opening of BTB L/C could not be shown. This is highly irregular
- Bill value has not yet been paid which is a violation of international rules of foreign trade. Please arrange payment of the overdue bills in case of fraud loan. Please approach H/O for approval.
EXIM Bank Ltd aware of the changing needs of the customers who are attracted by new technology and products rather by the conventional banking. EXIM Bank acknowledging the demand of the future has taken a number of new schemes to give customers more service. There is consumer credit scheme, under which one can buy any household items- from car to mobile phone- by paying monthly installments. EXIM Bank has a leasing window also, which allows an entrepreneur to acquire use of any Machinery/Equipment by hire without having to purchase it. These schemes have already got remarkable response from the fixed income group of the urban areas and small entrepreneurs to increase their existing capacity. Besides, EXIM Bank Ltd offers special saving scheme, special fixed deposit scheme for its clients with competitive rate of interest monthly payments. For people who are hesitant to earn interest from their deposits can avail of the services of the Islamic Sarah Counter. The customers, under this scheme can avail all other facilities, including opening of L/C and taking Advances without coming in touch with interest as in case of other general clients.
Banking sector being a service sector of Bangladesh continues to contribute to a great deal in the economy of Bangladesh. The EXIM Bank Ltd. Is one of the leading banking services of the country? Though The EXIM Bank Ltd is not being much old but it has already shown potentials success in its lifetime.
Banks always contribute towards the economic development of a country. Compared with other Banks The EXIM Bank Ltd bank contributing more by investing most of its fruitful projects leading to increase in production of the country.
I observed the total banking system especially foreign exchange department of The EXIM Bank Ltd while completing my Internship program, with a keep attention and observation the study has been tried to complete. For the effectiveness of the Foreign Exchange Department, The EXIM Bank Ltd has divided the whole department into three major parts, which are Export, Import, & Remittance.
The EXIM Bank Ltd is playing its leading role in socio-economic development of the country. Since inception The EXIM Bank Ltd has been rendering its Banking services with the needs of the nation to cope with the demand of people of the country. By doing many other works for state & society, The EXIM Bank Ltd has emerged as the pioneer of playing key role in the country.
Books and Articles:
1) Madura Jeff “Financial Markets and Institutions”
2) Book of Money and baking
3) Kotler Philip and Keller Kevin lane, Marketing Management, 12th Ed., 2005, prentice-hall of India private limited.
4) Malhotra Naresh K., Marketing Research–and applied orientation, 4th Edition, 2007-2008, prentice-hall of India private limited.
5) Annual Report of EXIM Bank Limited 2008 and 2009.
6) Quarterly affairs, Report.
7) Different Types of Form of the EXIM Bank Ltd.