Objectives of the Organization:
1. To investigate epidemics and provides necessary support in their control.
2. To help the government of Bangladesh in preventing and controlling different disease.
3. To upgrade the clinical service.
4. To control communicable disease
5. To isolate and identify polio and non polio enteric virus from stool specimen collected from acute flaccid paralysis children (0-15 years)
IPH at a Glance:
|Name of the Institution||:||Institute of public health (IPH)|
|Type of organization||:||Government|
|Year of establishment||:||In 1948, then it was known as school of Tropical Medicine and public Health, situated at old Dhaka. In 1953, it was shifted to Mohakhali and named IPH.|
|Date of visit||:||08.07.04|
1. Production of anti-rabies and T.T. vaccine.
2. Production of blood bag and IV fluid
3. Drug testing laboratory
4. Laboratory for testing and quality control of food and water.
5. IPH has National Polio Lab which is used for virus culture, typing etc. which act as a referral lab.
6. Has a chemical analysis laboratory which provides support for the detection of poisons in the suspected poisoning cases.
7. Conducts different postgraduate training course for doctors and other training on preventive and social medicine for the non- medical personnal.
8. Detection of HIV infection.
1. IPH was awarded gold medal in the preventive sector for the eradication of small pox in the year 1980.
2. It produces 16 lakh vials of anti-rabies vaccine per year
3. It introduced Monsur’s media (TTGA)
4. IPH has set up a national polio laboratory to give support to polio eradication programme.
1. Obsolete rules and bylaws are hampering the smooth running of different unit.
2. Laboratory equipments are very inadequate
3. Some of the vaccines are no longer produced as a result of
lack of logistic support.
flaws in the administration
Lack of skilled technician and manpower
4. Anti serum production has declined due to-
a. Lack of animal supply
b. Human immunoglobulin are in demand now.
- The national polio lab is a reference lab and it is well equipped and it draw attention much than the other sector of the IPH.
- Environment of IPH is good but food and water testing department need special care.
The institute of public Health has an appreciable role in improving and maintaining health status of the people with limited facilities. With provision of more financial and logistic support the activities of institute may strengthen the preventive measure used in health sector of the country.
Related Medical Paper:
Popular Medical Paper:
Forensic Medicine and Toxicology Medical Ethics Definition: Medical ethics may be defined as the moral principles, which guide the members of medical profession in course of their practice of medicine & their dealings with their patient, other members of the profession & with the state. M.....
A. Background Drug abuse directly influences the economic and social aspects of a country. In Bangladesh it is a growing national concern. There are millions of drug-addicted people in Bangladesh and most of them are young, between the ages of 18 and 30. And they are from all strata of the societ.....
Introduction: In recent years Drug Addiction has significantly increased in Bangladesh. This agent of human devastation has spread its tentacles worldwide and also in our country. Every intelligent and humane person in the world, society and international organizations such as the UN and WHO are .....
Introduction: The administration of primary healthcare by the Bangladesh Government is carried out through a suprisingly extensive infrratructure of facilities within each of the 64 districts. The districts are divided into 460 papila(sub districts) which are subdivided into unions. Each unio.....
Abstract: Objective :To find out proportion ,types of congenital anomalies at birth , immediate outcome of anomalous baby and associated maternal risk factors . Design : An observational study . Place and duration of the study : This study was carried out in the department of Obstetrics and gyn.....