The Arndt-Eistert synthesis is a series of chemical reactions designed to convert a carboxylic acid to a higher homologue.( i.e. contain one additional carbon atom ) and is considered a homologation process. Named for German chemists Fritz Arndt (1885-1969), and Bernd Eistert (1902-1978)
Basic method of reaction: Arndt-Eistert synthesis is a popular method of producing B(beta)-amino acid from @(alpha)-amino acid, Acid chlorides react with diazomethane to give diazoketones.In the presence of a nucleophile (water) and a metal catalyst (silver oxides) diazoketones will form the desired acid homologue.
The Arndt-Eistert Synthesis allows the formation of homologated carboxylic acids or their derivatives by reaction of the activated carboxylic acids with diazomethane and subsequent Wolff-Rearrangement of the intermediate diazoketones in the presence of nucleophiles such as water, alcohols, or amines.
- By Arndt-Eistert reaction we can synthesise propionic acid from acetic acid.
- The Arndt–Eistert reaction offers a convenient method for the synthesis of the higher members of the aliphatic carboxylic acid series. Nonadecanoic acid, eicosanoic acid, and heneicosanoic acid have been prepared successively from stearic acid in good yields. An efficient method of purification of the synthetic products is described. The ultraviolet absorption maxima for some diazoketones derived from the higher members of the aliphatic carboxylic acid series are recorded.
- ^ Arndt, F.; Eistert, B. (1935). “Ein Verfahren zur Überführung von Carbonsäuren in ihre höheren Homologen bzw. deren Derivate” (in German). Ber. Dtsch. Chem. Ges. 68 (1): 200–208. doi:10.1002/cber.19350680142.
- ^ Bachmann, W. E.; Struve, W. S. (1942). “The Arndt-Eistert Reaction”. Org. React. 1: 38.
- ^ Ye, T.; McKervey, M. A. (1994). “Organic Synthesis with α-Diazo Carbonyl Compounds”. Chem. Rev. 94 (4): 1091–1160. doi:10.1021/cr00028a010.
- ^ Lee, V.; Newman, M. S. (1970), “Ethyl 1-Naphthylacetate”, Org. Synth. 50: 77; Coll. Vol. 6: 6
Related Chemistry Paper:
Popular Chemistry Paper:
Objective: The main purpose of the project is to maintain fluid in a desire level to any control system. PLC is used in this project as an Automation tool to reduce manual operation and get better accuracy. Introduction: In the past, humans were the main methods for controlling a system. More rec.....
Introduction: Our country has many types of natural resources. Natural Gas is one of the most important of natural resources. Our country has huge natural gas. Bangladesh natural gas production began in 1960 from the Chattak Filed. There is much uncertainty and debate about the level of natural g.....
Atomic Absorption spectroscopy is one of the excellent analytical instruments for the analysis of the chemical composition of samples. Walsh was first introducing the instrument as a general purpose, now it is very popular analytical technique to determination of different elements. It is based o.....
Basic objective of this lecture is to presentation on Pentose Phosphate Pathway. Other names of Pentose Phosphate Pathway is Phosphogluconate Pathway and Hexose Monophosphate Shunt. Here briefly explain the linear part of the pathway carries out oxidation and decarboxylation of the 6-C sugar gl.....
INTRODUCTION Pulp is the fibrous cellulosic material used in the production of paper. Wood is the principal raw material for the production of pulp; but bamboo, cotton, linen, rags, straw, bagasse, etc are also used. Chemical pulp production is the cooking of the wood raw material with chemicals......