Interface and colloid science – Interface and colloid science is a branch of chemistry dealing with colloid s, heterogeneous systems consisting of a mechanical mixture of particles between 1 nm and 1000 nm dispersed in a continuous medium. Interface and colloid science has applications and ramifications in chemical industry, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, ceramics, minerals, nanotechnology, and microfluidics, among others. Interface and colloid science is that branch of chemistry,which deals with the study and application of colloids,heterogeneous systemic mechanical mixtures of particles between 1nm and 1000nm dispersed in a continuous medium. There are many books dedicated to this scientific discipline, and there is a glossary of terms.
Interface and colloid science – Interface and colloid science is a branch of chemistry dealing with colloids, heterogeneous systems consisting of a mechanical mixture of particles between 1 nm and 1000 nm dispersed in a continuous medium. Interface and colloid science has applications and ramifications in chemical industry,..
Pharmaceutical statistics – Pharmaceutical statistics is the application of statistics to matters concerning the pharmaceutical industry. This can be from issues of design of experiments, to analysis of drug trials, to issues of commercialisation of a medicine. There are many professional bodies concerned with this field..
Colloid – … called colloidal solutions or colloidal suspensions … and because colloids have the appearance of solutions … freely moving about between the water molecules of the solution .
1) Therapy— Colloidal system are used as therapeutic agents in different areas.
e.g- Silver colloid-germicidal
2) Stability— As already stated, charges play an important role in determining the stability of a colloidal system.Colloids, especially lyophobic colloids having like charges on particle surface repel each other and prevent flocculation in suspensions.
e.g- Colloidal dispersion of gelatin is used in coating over tablets and granules which upon drying leaves a uniform dry film over them and protect them from adverse conditions of the atmosphere.
3) Absorption— As colloidal dimensions are small enough,they have a huge surface area. Hence, the drug constituted colloidal form is released into the vicinity in large amount.
e.g- sulphur colloid gives a large quantity of sulphur and this often leads to sulphur toxicity.
4) Dissolution — Due to huge surface area, the dissolution rate is very large as stated by Noyes-Whitney equation.
where, D=dissolution coefficient
dC/dT=Rate of diffusion
A= surface area of particle
Cs=concentration of stagnant layer (layer of solvent just adjacent to particle and is concentrated with the drug)
Cb=concentration of bulk solution (Often dilute and represents the rest of the solvent in the system)
L=length of stagnant layer
n=viscosity of the medium
5) Targeted Drug Delivery— Liposomes are of colloidal dimensions and are preferentially taken up by the liver and spleen. Hence, principle of colloids is also used in targeted drug delivery system.
Related Pharmacy Paper:
Popular Pharmacy Paper:
Feasibility Study on Aceclofenac and Its Major Competitors A. Introduction Feasibility Study What is feasibility study? The feasibility study is an integral part in developing a business project. This is an analytical tool used during the project planning process shows how a business would operat.....
1. INTRODUCTION There are several sectors on which Bangladesh can be proud of and undoubtedly the pharmaceutical sector is one of these sectors, rather it is the sector, which is the second-largest contributor to the government exchequer. There are about 231 companies in this sector and the appro.....
Background Square Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (SPL), the pharmaceutical giant in the country, is a trusted name in the industry of manufacturing quality medicines for more than four decade. SQUARE today symbolizes a name – a state of mind. From the inception in 1958, it has today burgeoned into on.....
INTRODUCTION Necessity of in-plant training: A pharmacist is the person of drugs or the expert on drugs. He is the only expert on drugs, for expertise regarding drugs requires knowledge in depth in all the facts of pharmacy. It is her professional responsibility to know all about the drugs. No ed.....
Interface and colloid science – Interface and colloid science is a branch of chemistry dealing with colloid s, heterogeneous systems consisting of a mechanical mixture of particles between 1 nm and 1000 nm dispersed in a continuous medium. Interface and colloid science has applications and .....