The words ‘there’ and ‘their’ are often used incorrectly because they are homophones, due to which they sound similar but have different spelling and meaning. ‘There’ means the opposite of here; “at that place.” ‘Their’ means “belongs to them.” While the word ‘there‘ has a number of uses but it is commonly used to refer to a place, or something which exists whereas we use ‘their‘ to mean belongingness to a group of people. ‘Their’ is a possessive adjective that is used before a noun. It shows possession, that something belongs to them. Example: There must be something wrong with their behavior. You are going there for their well being.
Difference between There and Their
- In English, ‘there’ is used to express a place which is already mentioned or implied which is known to the other person. It may also be used to express a specific object or person.
- The word ‘there’ represents a place or it can also be used to refer to something that exists. It also acts as an exclamation.
- ‘There’ has the word here in it. ‘There’ is the choice when talking about places, whether figurative or literal.
- Basically, there is used as an adverb of place or position, but it can also be used as a noun, pronoun, adjective, and interjection.
- The word ‘there’ is used in different contexts, when used as different parts of speech in various sentences.
- Examples: There is a big mall. You must go there for further studies.
- In English, ‘their’ is a possessive form of ‘they’, that signifies ownership of something by a group of people.
- The word ‘their’ symbolizes belongingness or ownership of someone or something.
- ‘Their’ has the word heir in it, which can act as a reminder that the term indicates possession.
- Basically, ‘their’ is a possessive determiner, which refers to belongingness to someone or something.
- Simply put, the word ‘their’ is used in sentences as an attributive adjective, followed by a noun. It expresses the possessive form of the word ‘they’ which is a plural pronoun.
- Examples: Their fight reminds me of my childhood. Can you give me their number?