Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution (BSTI), the only National Standards body of Bangladesh, is playing an important role in developing and promoting industrial Standardization. Keeping in view that Standardization, metrology, testing and quality control in the industrial spheres are the basic pre-requisite of the infrastructure necessary for sound economic development of the country, the Government of Bangladesh has established, the Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution (BSTI) with the merger of Bangladesh Standards Institution and the Central Testing Laboratories in 1985 through promulgating,
“The Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution Ordinance, 1985(Ordinance XXXVII of 1985)”.
BSTI is the National Standards Body (NSB) in Bangladesh. Around 1,000 experts from government, academic, research, consumer, NGO, and standards application bodies bring their expertise to the standardization process.
The institution playing an important role in developing and promoting industrial standardization in Bangladesh. BSTI is headed by a Director General. It plays two types of activities and responsibilities. They are written as below –
The main activities and responsibilities:
The primary functions of the agency include the control of service and standard of quality of the goods, and measurement of the international unit, improvement of the activities of controlling the standard and submission of the testing facilities of services and goods in addition to the establishment of national standard and improvement.
- BSTI is entrusted with the responsibility of formulation of national Standards of industrial, food and chemical products keeping in view the regional and international standards.
- BSTI is responsible for the quality control of the products which are ensured as per specific national standards made by the technical committees formed by BSTI. BSTI is also responsible for the implementation of the metric system and to oversee the accuracy of weights and measures in the country.
- This agency has taken initiative creating awareness among various agencies and entrepreneurs for the reason of holding the licenses of ISO, CAC, IEC like ISO-9000, ISO-14000.
- Internship Report on Guidelines for Credit Risk Management of Mercantile Bank Limited
- Annual Report 2013 of Rahim Textile Mills Limited
- Shareholder Loan
- Annual Report 2014 of GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Bangladesh Limited
- Annual Report 2015-16 of Active Fine Chemicals Limited
- Annual Report 2011 of Delta Brac Housing Finance Corporation Limited