The principle objective of this report is to analysis Credit Management System of Agrani Bank Limited. Other objectives are identify the limitations and shortcomings of the management and identify the issues those influence corporate clients in selecting a bank for their businesses in Credit Management. Finally identify satisfaction level of corporate clients towards the services they get from their banks and explain about the quality of the service quality.
Objectives of the Study
- To know the credit management system of Agrani Bank Limited.
- To have an understanding on the credit management system associated matters.
- To identify the limitations and shortcomings of the management of Agrani Bank Limited.
- To identify the issues those influence corporate clients in selecting a bank for their businesses.
- To identify satisfaction level of corporate clients towards the services they get from their banks
- To have an understanding the quality of the service quality.
To conduct this report, various types of primary and secondary data were used. Data has been collected through different sources like interviews and other different circular published by the Bank.
- Face to face conversation with manager and officers.
- Practical desk work and personal observation.
- Direct conversation with clients.
- Interaction with course instructor
- Annual report of ABL.
- Circular of the ABL
Target Population: Officers and customers of Agrani Bank Ltd. Senpara branch.
Data Collection Method:
- Depth Interview
- Personal Interview
Sample Size: 09 Officers and 35 Clients.
Method Of Sampling: Convenience sampling method has been used to select sample. In this case sample was picked up on the judgment basis.
A bank is one, who in the ordinary course of his business receives money which he repays by honoring cheques of persons from whom or on whose account he receives it. Banks deal mainly with money and credit. They purchase and sell money and credit.
Bank is an establishment which makes such advances of money to individual, as may be required with which individuals entrust money when not required by them for use.To make the social system developed and dynamic, no one can deny the role of Banking by any means. Bank acts as a financial intermediary to mobilize fund from the surplus to deficit economic units. The banking sector in Bangladesh comprises of four categories of scheduled banks. These are, Nationalized Commercial Banks (NCBs), Government owned development Finance Institutions (DFIs), Private Commercial Banks (PCBs) and Foreign Commercial Banks (FCBs).
Background of Agrani Bank Ltd.:
Agrani Bank Limited, a leading commercial bank with 867 outlets strategically located in almost all the commercial areas throughout Bangladesh, overseas Exchange Houses and hundreds of overseas Correspondents, came into being as a Public Limited Company on May 17,2007 with a view to take over the business, assets, liabilities, rights and obligations of the Agrani Bank which emerged as a nationalized commercial bank in 1972 immediately after the emergence of Bangladesh as an independent state. Agrani Bank Limited started functioning as a going concern basis through a Vendors Agreement signed between the ministry of finance, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh on behalf of the former Agrani Bank and the Board of Directors of Agrani Bank Limited on November 15,2007 with retrospective effect from 01 July,2007.
Agrani Bank Limited is governed by a Board of Directors consisting of 13(thirteen) members headed by a chairman. The Bank is headed by the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer; Managing Director is assisted by Deputy Managing Directors and General Managers. The bank has 7 Circle offices, 30 Divisions in head office, 52 zonal offices and 867 branches including 10 corporate and 40 AD( authorized dealer) branches. The corporate and AD branches are authorized to deal in Foreign exchange business.
History of Agrani Bank Ltd :
Agrani Bank a nationalized commercial bank (NCB) of Bangladesh established on 26 March 1972 under the Bangladesh Banks (Nationalization) Order 1972 by taking over two abandoned Pakistani banks – Habib Bank and Commerce Bank. With its head office in dhaka, the bank started its operational activities with an authorized capital of Tk .30 million and paid up capital of Tk 10 million. The paid up capital has increased to Tk 30 million in December 1973. In 1999-2000, the bank’s authorized and paid up capital were Tk. 8 billion and 2.5 billion respectively. The total volume of foreign exchange business handled by the bank in servicing imports and exports and remittances during 1999-2000 amounted to Tk 55.345 billion compared to only Tk 310 million in 1972-73. At present, the bank has correspondent relationship with 903 foreign banks/bank offices throughout the world.
At the start of its operation in 1972, Agrani Bank had 246 branches, of which 37 were temporarily closed. It had a total deposit of Tk 581 million, advances of Tk 663.40 million and borrowing of Tk 294.80 million. Initially, it did not have any liquid asset to run its operations smoothly and to undertake development activities. Investment amounting to Tk 110 million was in unapproved securities. On 30 June 2000, the total deposit at the bank stood at Tk 92.96 billion, total loans and advances at Tk 74.92 billion, total investment at Tk 25.375 billion, total assets at Tk 124.798 billion and reserve funds at Tk 319 million. Of the total deposits, 8.03%, 35.41%, 19.21% and 37.35% were in current, savings, fixed and other deposits respectively. 4.24% of the total amount of loans and advances were classified. The bank’s recovery rate in terms of total outstanding loans was 34% in 1999 and 32% in 2000. The cumulative balance of outstanding loans and advances on 30 June 2000 was Tk 74.97 billion. The amount of overdue loans on the same date was Tk 31.14 billion. The ratio of total overdue to total outstanding loans was 41.54%. As of 30 June 2000, the total and net income of the bank was Tk 4.151 billion and 40.1 million respectively. Compared to previous years, the net profit decreased in 2000, mainly due to increase in interest and operating expenses and a decline in commission and exchange income.
The broad economic areas in which the bank currently lends and the amount of advances to those areas upto 30 June 2000 were agriculture and fisheries: Tk 3.831 billion, industry (small and cottage, and large and medium): Tk 32.866 billion, retail/wholesale trade and hotels and restaurants; Tk 17.527 billion, transport/ communication and storage: Tk 502 million, special credit programmes including poverty alleviation: Tk 1.023 million, insurance, real estate and trade services: Tk 5.435 billion and others: Tk 14.361 billion.
Mission, Vision & Core objective of Agrani Bank Limited :
Agrani Bank engineers enterprise and creativity in business and industry with a commitment to social responsibility. “Profit Alone” do not hold a central focus in the Bank’s operation; because “man does not live by bread and butter alone”
.Agrani Bank dreams of better BANGLADESH. Where arts and letters, sports and athletics, music and entertainment, science and education, health and hygiene, clean and population free environment and above all a society based on morality and ethics make all our lives worth living. Agrani Bank’s essence and ethos rest on a cosmos of creativity and the marvel magic of a charmed life that abounds with spirit of life and adventures that contributes towards human development.
- Core Objectives:
Agrani Bank Ltd. Believes in its uncompromising commitment to fulfill its customer needs and satisfaction and to become their first choice in banking. Taking cue from its pool of esteemed clientele, Agrani Bank Ltd. Intends to pave the way for a new era in banking that upholds and epitomizes its vaunted marques “COMMITED TO SERVE THE NATION”
Service And Products:
- Card products
- Retail banking product
- Loans and advances
Agrani Bank Limited has less facility of debit card system. It hasn’t a broad network about card system. It only produce Debit card and have some own booth for this system. Although this bank is not an online bank so there is some limitation about maintaining card system. But therefore it is maintaining its card system with the help of other banks. The other banks are BANK ASIA LTD, ISLAMI BANK (BD) LTD, SOCIAL INVESTMENT BANK LTD, SOUTH EAST LTD, DHAKA BANK LTD, AB BANK LTD.
- Savings Deposit Account
- Current deposit account
- Short term deposit account
- Deposit Plus Scheme
Loan & Advances
- Loan Against. Trust Receipt
- Auto Loan
- Consumer Loam
- Real Estate Loan
- Loan Against ABPS or DPS
- Agriculture term loan
- Project loan
- Other term loan
- Short notice term deposit account
- Agrani bank pension scheme
- Agrani bank special deposit scheme
- Agrani Bank Shilpa Unnayan Bond for 5 years.
- Agrani Bank Shilpa Unnayan Bond for 7 years.
Functions of Agrani bank Limited;
- Money collection on deposit
- Conducting cash transaction of current account holders
- Attending bills of exchange and drafts
- Debit card facilities
Money gram, Express money, Remit one, infinity, Cash over counter, IME, Transfast, Quick Remitance.
Credit Management System of Agrani Bank Ltd.
Agrani Bank Limited is a old Bank. This bank is maintaining its banking responsibility since 1972. It is committed to provide high quality financial services/products to contribute to the growth of G.D.P of the country through stimulating trade and commerce, accelerating the pace of industrialization, boosting up export, creating employment opportunity for the educated youth, poverty alleviation, raising standard of living of limited income group and over all sustainable socio-economic development of the country.
This bank follows its own Credit Policy formulated in the light of country’s applicable laws and norms and CRM guidelines as well. The main focus of the policy is to ensure profitable and viable investment of bank’s fund. Besides conventional lending, bank also stressed on funding unconventional sectors. In some instances it has become pioneer in extending credit facilities. The credit portfolio of the bank is well diversified and covers wide spectrum of business and industrial concerns from textiles to real estate. Credit facilities in micro and SME sector are also gaining momentum. Total loans and advances amount of 2009 is 122,236,085,269 tk.
Credit Policy Guideline:
The relationship between banker and customer begins with the opening of an account by the customer. Opening of an account binds the customer into contractual relationship under the legal framework of the (contract act – 1872). After that if a customer want to make any kind of broad relation with bank then it also possible. For the customer’s benefit bank always offer various kind of loaf to the customer. Instead of loan bank charges interest for the income of the bank.
Agrani Bank Ltd. Follows the own credit policies formulated on the country’s applicable law’s and norms and guidelines as well. The main focus of the policy is to ensure profitable and viable investment of bank’s fund. Besides conventional lending, bank also stressed on funding unconventional sectors. Credit facilities in micro and SME sector is also gaining momentum. The bank is very careful in handling credit proposals, band disbursed. The guidelines contained herein are NCC Bank’s general principals that are designed for implementation by bank. The investment proposal should be forwarded to Head Office for sanction with recommendation showing justification that should include the following:
The bank shall provide the suitable investment services and products for the following sectors, which must meet the other requisites as set by the bank from time to time.
- Consumer Loan
- Agriculture Loan
- Textile & Garments Loan
- Housing & Real Estate
- Electronics & electrical commodities
As initiated by Bangladesh Bank Vide BCD Circular No.33 Dated 16-11-89 different kind of lending were subdivided into 11 categories w.e.f 01.01.90 which was subsequently reduced to 9 Vide BCD Circular No. 23 dated 09-10-93 and again to 7 prime sectors Vide BCD Circular No. 8 Dated 25-04-94 for fixation for rates of profits by the individual banks on competitive basis depending on the cost of funds, prevailing market condition and monetary policy of the country.
Types Of Loans & Advances:
Depending on various nature of financing, all the landing activities have been brought under the following major heads:
These are the loans and advances having no fixed repayment schedule, but have an expiry date at which it is renewable on satisfactory performance.
Advance is granted to a client against financial obligations. The security of advance is granted to the person to whom the instrument belongs. The discharged instrument is surrendered to the bank along with a letter signed by holder/holders. The bank’s lien is prominently noted on the face of the instrument under the signature of an authorized bank official.
Granted against the work order of government departments, corporation’s autonomous bodies and reported multinational private organization. To arrive at logical decision, the client’s managerial capability, equity strength, nature of scheduled work is to be judged. Disbursement is made after completion of documentation formalities, besides usual charge, documents like a notarized irrevocable power of attorney to collect the bills from the concerned authority and a letter from the concerned authority confirming direct payment to the bank is also obtained. The work is strictly monitored to review the progress at each interval.
Cash Credit (Hypothecation)
The mortgage of movable property for securing loan is called hypothecation. Hypothecation is a legal transaction where by goods are made available to the lending banker as security for a debt without transferring either the property in the goods or either possessing. The banker has only equitable charge on stocks, which practically means nothing. Since the goods always remain in the physical possession of the borrower, there is much risk to the bank. So, it is granted to parties of undoubted means with highest integrity.
Cash Credit (Pledge)
Transfer of possession in the judicial sense of essential in the valid pledge. In case of pledge, the bank acquire the possession of the goods or a right to hold goods until the repayment for credit with a special right to sell after due notice to the borrower in the event of non-repayment.
Export Cash Credit (ECC)
These are the loans made by the Bank with fixed repayment schedules. The term of Investment are defined as follows:
Short Term : Up to 12 months
Medium Term : More than 12 and up to 36 months
Long Term : More than 36 months
House Building Loan
This loan is provided against 100% cash collateral, besides; the land & building are also mortgaged with the bank
Loan against other securities:
Loan against other securities is a 100% secured advance, which requires no sanction from the Head Officer. It is sanctioned by marketing lien of FDR, ICB Unit Certificate.
Heir Purchase is a type of installment investment under which the Purchaser agrees to taka the goods on hire at a stated rental, which is inclusive of the repayment of principal as well as profit for adjustment of the investment within a specified period.
ABL considers the loans, which are sanctioned for more than one year as loan (g). Under this facility, an enterprise of financed from the stating to its finishing, from installment to its production. ABL offers this facility only to big industries.
Loan against Imported Merchandise (LIM)
Advances allowed for retirement of shipping documents and release of goods imported through L/C taking effective control over the goods by pledge fall under this type of advance, when the importer failed to pay the amount payable to the exporter against import L/C, than ABL gives loan against imported merchandise to the importer. The importer will bear all the expenses i.e. the godown charge, insurance fees, etc. and the ownership of the goods is retaining to the bank. This is also a temporary advance connected with import, which is known as post import finance.
Loan against Trust Receipt (LTR)
Investment allowed for retirement of shipping documents and release of goods imported through L/C fall under this heard. The goods are handed over to the importer under trust with the arrangement that sale proceeds should be deposited to liquidate the investments within a given period. These are also a temporary investment connected with import and know as post-import finance and falls under the category “Commercial Lending”.
Loan Documentary Bill Purchase:
Payment made against documents representing sell of goods to local export oriented industries, which are deemed as exports, and which are dominated in local currency/foreign currency falls under this head. The bill of exchange is held as the primary security. The client submits the usance bill and the bank discounts it. This temporarily liability is adjustable from the proceeds off the bill.
Inland Bill Purchase (IBP):
Payment made through purchase of inland bills/cheques to meet urgent requirement of the customer falls under this type of investment facility. This temporary investment is adjustable from the proceeds of bills/cheques purchased for collection. It falls under he category “Commercial Landing”
Foreign Bill Purchase (FBP):
Payment made to customer through Purchase of Foreign Currency Cheques/Drafts fall under this head. This temporary investment is adjustable from the proceeds of the cheque/draft.
Bank official from officer and above are eligible for this loan. There is different kind of loan under this loan section. They are shown below
- Staff housing loan.
- Staff computer loan.
- Staff auto loan.
Loan under SME
a) Consumer Credit Scheme:
This scheme is aimed to attract consumers from the middle and upper middle class population with limited income. The borrower should have saving or current deposit account with the bank. Minimum 25% of the purchase cost of the product is to be deposited be the borrower with the bank is equity before the disbursement of the loan. The rest 75% is to be kept as cash collateral (FDR, Shanchay Patra etc.) with the bank. The purchased items are hypothecated with the bank. The disbursement of the loan is effected by debiting loan (general) account to the opened in the same of the borrower. Loan amount is disbursed through a/c payee pay order/demand draft directly to the seller after submission of the indent, deposit of client equity and completion of documentation formalities. The bank obtains post dated a/c payee cheques drawn in favor of the bank for the monthly installments covering the lending period from the borrower and the loan amount is adjusted on the due date of installments.
b) Working capital loan:
Loans allowed to the manufacturing unit to meet their working capital requirement, irrespective of their size big, medium or large fall under the category.
c) House Repairing/Renovation Loan Scheme:
This loan is offered for renovation and modernization of the house/building/flat which are acquired by inheritably or purchasing and other ways to make the properties liable and durable.
d) Small Business Loan Scheme:
This loan is offered to the small and promising entrepreneurs to meet their capital requirement and enable them to operate and expand the business purposely.
d) Personal Loan For Salaried Person:
This loan is provided to fixed salaried persons in various organizations to meet any emergency cash needs at various events- treatment/operations of critical disease, matrimonial, maternity expenditure etc. Maximum credit ceiling is Tk1, 00,000/-
Recent Interest Rate of Loan and Advances:
|Types of loan and advance||Interest Rate|
|Staff Housing Loan||5%|
|Staff Auto Loan||5%|
|Staff Computer Loan||5%|
|General House Loan||13%|
|Loan Against APS||11%|
|Loan Against DPS||17%|
|CC(Hypo) For business with security||13%|
General Procedure of Sanctioning Loan:
Branch Credit committee has delegation to give loan to a customer within a certain limit delegated by head office Credit Division and can not extend facility to any customer beyond this limit. The customer can approach directly to the Credit Division of head office .So the process of sanctioning can now be described step wise:
- The customer will submit the loan application directly to the Credit Unit or to any nearest branch of Agrani Bank as convenience.
- Then branch send the application and necessary document to the Bangladesh Bank for CIB report.
- After receiving the CIB report from the Bangladesh Bank the branch considers it and forwards it to the credit unit immediately.
- Then the branch credit committee or credit unit inspects and verifies the information provided by the customer in the credit application and applies and due diligence for approval or declining the loan.
- If the branch credit committee approves the proposal, sanction advice is issued to the customer and asked to finish all other documentation and to give the required number of post date cheques.
- Both the credit division keep the record of approved and declined loan proposals.
Branch Credit Committee:
This committee is to be headed by the Branch Manager and other member (s) to be selected by the Manager as well as consultant with Head Office. Responsibilities of this committee are as follows;
- First responsibility to the Manager for each lending.
- Know their borrower fully.
- Comply with the applicable instructions, manual, circulars and other rules of the Banks as well as Bangladesh Bank Act.
- Credit proposal submitted to Head Office, Credit division for established the policies and procedure.
- Review and analyze the history of antecedent of the management personnel, their financial condition with comparative statement, latest Balance sheet, Income statement, operating result and supplementary facts and also personal net worth statement of the proprietor, partners and also the Directors.
- Comply with necessary and customary internal & external control and safeguard.
- Justification consideration for cover facility.
- Take review and monitoring action of the credit.
- Continuously reviewed the all credit facilities by the branch manager with the other member of the committee.
- Continuously verification for review the project and find out the facts and make a report which is to submit to the Head office.
Security: Selection & Control:
Security is an element of risk that always present in every advance, in whatever degree a bank knew his customer personally and intimately, in whatever degree he has the confidence in the integrity and honesty of a customer. When a banker ordinarily takes as things assets, good, valuables, financial papers, surety, guarantee, etc. against the risk for lending is called security.
Importance of Security: Banks always lay stress on three elements while making advance
- Borrower’s integrity and honesty
- Genuine purpose
- Assurance of return of money advanced.
Types of Security:
Personal Security: Security by which a borrower is personally made liable to repay the loans/advances. Demand Promissory Note, personal Guarantee, Bills of exchange, etc
Tangible Security: Tangible assets like stock of goods, bonds, deposit receipts, bill of landing, bills receivables, warehouse receipt, real estate, shares, assignable, insurance policies, etc. are taken as security.
Primary Security: The security which is deposited by the borrower himself against lending is called primary security. Primary security is the main cover for the advance made by banks. Primary security is associated with the purpose for which the lending allowed. “Stock in trade, industrial plants, land & building, bills receivables, deposit receipt, etc which are deposited by the borrower shall be treated as primary security.
Collateral Security: Additional, subsidiary or secondary in addition to primary security is called collateral security.
Direct Collateral Security: Collateral security obtained from the borrower himself to secure his own account is known as direct collateral security.
Indirect Collateral Security: Collateral security given by a third party / persons to secure a customer’s loan account is called indirect collateral security.
Mortgage Types & Required Land Papers:
When immovable property like land and building are offered by a customer as a security for loan, charge thereon is created by means of mortgage. A mortgage is the transfer of an interest in specific immovable property for the purpose of securing the payment of money advanced or the performance of an engagement which may give rise to a pecuniary liability.
Characteristics of mortgage are:
- Mortgage to be created for securing loan or performing any contract.
- There should be a specific immovable property.
- The immovable property means land and the property attested to land
- There will be mortgagor, mortgagee, mortgaged property and mortgage deed.
There are different types of mortgage, such as:
- Simple/Registered / Legal Mortgage
- English Mortgage
- Mortgage by condition of sale
- Equitable Mortgage
- Anomalous Mortgage
Required Land Papers:
- Letter deed / certified copy of title deed with discharged original receipt.
- Mutation Porcha as per RS operation along with original DCR
- Khatian from local office
- Ground rent (Khajna) receipt up to date
- Certified copy of CD, RS, and SA Porcha
- Moza map
- Holding tax receipt if any
- Up to date Non Encumbrance Certificate (NEC) issued by the Sub Register.
- Legal opinion
Charges documents are generally prescribed in printed forms used by the bank against credit to be executed by the borrower / party concerned. These are as follows:
- Demand Promissory (DP) Note.
- Letter of arrangement.
- Letter of Continuity.
- Revival Letter-I
- Revival Letter-II
- Letter of Guarantee
- Letter of hypothecation of Goods
- Letter of hypothecation of Machinery
- Letter of hypothecation of Bills
- Letter of hypothecation of Debt Assets
- Letter of Pledge-goods
- Letter of Lien 1st Party
- Letter of Lien 3rd Party
- Letter of Counter Guarantee
- Letter of Ownership
- Disbursement Letter
- Letter of Disclaimer
- Letter of Undertaken and Declaration with other bank
- Letter of partnership (incase of partnership concern) or resolution of the
Board of Directors (incase of Limited Companies).
- Legal documents for mortgage of property as draft by legal adviser.
Branch should obtain initially two sets of charges documents. One set is to be duly filed in, signed, stamped and witness. In every renewal / enhancement / reschedule of loan, Branch should obtain afresh set of charge documents.
As on 31st December, 2009 bank’s investment stood at tk. 4089.72 million recording an increase of 40.00% over last year’s tk 2932.98 million. Generally, bank invests its fund in government Treasury bill in order to maintain statutory liquidity requirement (SLR) besides yielding good rate of return.
Distribution of investment portfolio:
The bank maintains an investment portfolio of both risky and risk free instruments. In it’s portfolio it includes risk free Govt. treasury bills & bonds and risky investment in shares. However the bank is reluctant to invest too much in risky assets. So its investment mostly comprises of Govt. treasury securities.
The instruments in the portfolio are described below:
Agrani Bank Ltd. Invested in different types of debenture. In the year of 2009 they invested tk. 165.5 million in different kind of debentures. Which was 4.05% of total investment amount.
- Prize Bond
A very small amount is invested in highly liquidable interest free prize bonds. In 2009 Agrani Bank Limited has invested only 1,30,63,700 tk. & in 2008 ABL invested only 1,30,54,600 tk.
- Treasury Bill
Since the rate of return in Treasury bill is good the bank emphasizes investing in this security to utilize its liquid fund on temporary basis. This investment also helps the bank to maintain its statutory liquidity requirement successfully. The bank has 28 days, 91 days, 182 days, 365 days treasury bills making almost 21.67% of the total investment in 2009. But in 2008 Agrani Bank Ltd did invest in treasury bill more than 25%.
- Treasury Bond
Because of less risky feature treasury bond is too popular for any kind of investor. For its less risky feature Agrani Bank Ltd. invested 58.28% of its total investment amount in the year of 2009 and in the year of 2008 Agrani Bank Ltd. has invested 41.2%.
- Shares in companies
Though risky, investment in shares is also highly profitable. So the bank is increasing it’s investment in shares. In 2009 Agrani Bank Ltd. has invested almost 1,283,462,140 tk. in various organizations.
In order to improve bank’s financial position, banks have to invest in new area to preserve its market share and to penetrate new market share through diversification of its product range.
Discouraged Sectors of Investment:
Investment in following sectors is discouraged by Agrani Bank Ltd.
- Military equipment/Weapons Finance
- Highly Leveraged transactions.
- Finance of Speculative Investment.
- Logging, Mineral Extraction/Mining, or other activity that is Ethically of Environmentally Sensitive.
- Lending to companies listed on CIB black list or known defaulters,
- Counter parties in countries subject to UN sanctions.
- Share Lending.
- Taking an Equity Stake in borrowers.
- Lending to Holding Companies.
- Bridge Investments relying on equity/debt issuance as a source of repayment.
- Tannery Finance.
- HB- residential who has no other business with the Bank.
Limitation of Loan Section:
There are some limitations in the advance section of this bank. Among them the major limitations are-
- Lack of good party.
- Party characteristics are not good all time.
- Parties all time not keep their words.
- Some time pressure from top level through the party condition is not good.
- Here there is lack of enough loan schemes that are effective now days.
- Many old payment of loan is due.
- Lack of proper documentation about loan.
- Loan interest rate is very competitive.
- Lack of technological advantage.
Analysis over Agrani Bank’s Performance:
SWOT analysis is an important tool for evaluating the company’s Strength, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. It helps the organization to identify the how to evaluate its performance and scan the micro environment, which in turn would help the organization to navigate in the turbulent ocean of competition.
Modern facilities and Online Banking:
From the beginning of the 2005 Agrani Bank Ltd. tried to furnish their work surroundings with modern equipment and facilities. For the speedy services to the customer ABL has installed money-counting machine in teller counter in some branches. The bank has already started to set up the online banking system all over the country.
String of Branches
Agrani Bank Ltd. tried to furnish their branches by impressive style. These well decorated branches get attention of the potential customers; this is one kind of strategy. The Elephant Road branch, Motijeel main branch is also impressive and is comparable to foreign banks.
Interactive corporate Culture
The corporate culture of Agrani Bank Ltd. is very much interactive compare to our other local organization. This interactive environment encourages the employees to work attentively. Since the banking job is very much routine work oriented, Agrani Bank Ltd. is very friendly, interactive and also lovely environment boosts up the work capability of the employees.
Good customer service
Good customer service is another major strength of the Agrani Bank Ltd.. They provide a one-stop service. In a highly competitive market the quality of service rendered by the bank to their valued customers is absolutely vital to ensure growth of both deposits loans and advances.
The major strength of Agrani Bank Ltd. is product innovation. They have introduced new product every year. Their innovative product creates a positive image. In this year they have introduced the Festival loan for the business man and the salaried person to meet their extra finance during the Festival period i.e. Eid-ul-Fitr, Eid-ul-Azha, Durga Puza that are highly appreciated among the customers.
The top management of the bank is a key strength for the Agrani Bank Ltd. and the contributed heavily towards the growth and development of the bank. The top management officials all have had reputed of banking experience, skill and proficiency.
Agrani Bank Ltd. has created a standing in the banking industry of the country chiefly among the new comers. Agrani Bank is one of the oldest bank of this country. From the beginning of the creation of our country Agrani Bank Ltd. plays a great role in the banking sector of our country. Agrani bank Ltd. do its banking work all over the country with a good reputation.
Advertising and promotion
Advertising and promotion is the one of the weak point of Agrani Bank. ABL does not have any effective truck for aggressive marketing activities. This lacking pushes the bank far behind the form the other competitor. But now the board of directors are making the plan for doing the marketing of this bank. They want to invest in the beautification of the Country. Recently Agrani Bank Ltd. has started to sponsor in Gaming Sector.
Limitation of Information System (Micro Banker)
Micro Banker is not comprehensive banking software. It is desirable that a more comprehensive banking system should be replaced Micro Banker system.
The working environment of Agrani bank Ltd. is not good in every branch. In the SENPARA branch where I did my internship, the working environment is too much bad. Because of proper monitoring that branch can not improve itself. Without the computer section there hasn’t any AC for other officers. So that in the summer the working condition of the bank goes too bad. So that the Officers can not do their work properly.
Weak server system
Currently NCC Bank is using Flora & Bexi bank server system, which is overall not a very efficient server system.
Credit cards and Tele banking:
These are the new retail banking services provided by the foreign banks. Agrani Bank Ltd. can evaluate the option of launching credit cards and Tele Banking system.
Agrani Bank Ltd. can pursue a diversification strategy in expanding its current line of business. The management have already started merchant banking or planning to diversify into leasing and insurance. By expending business portfolio, Agrani Bank Ltd. can shrink business risk.
Micro credit business
The bank can offer micro credit business for individuals and small businesses.
Many branches can be opened to reach the bank’s services to the remote areas.
The rapid expansion of multinational bank poses a potential threat to the ABL. Due to the booming energy sector more foreign banks are expected to operate in Bangladesh. Moreover the already existing foreign banks such as Standard Chartered and CITI NA are now pursing an aggressive branch expansion strategy. Since the foreign bank has tremendous financial strength, it will pose a threat to local banks to a certain extent in terms of grabbing the lucrative clients.
The contemporary banks of ABL like Prime Bank, Dhaka Bank and Southeast Bank are its major rivals. They are carrying out aggressive campaign to attract lucrative corporate clients as well as big time depositor. ABL should remain vigilant about the steps taken by these banks, as this will in turn affect ABL strategies.
Bangladesh bank rules and regulation
Bangladesh Bank sometimes requires Commercial Banks to be abided by such rules and regulations which are not suitable for every commercial bank.
The upcoming local private banks can also pose threats to the existing banks. The govt. has planned to permit new banks. It is expected that in the next few years more local private banks may emerge. If that happens the intensity of competition will rise further and banks will have to develop strategies to compete against foreign banks.
While working at Agrani Bank ltd, Senpara Branch, I have attained to a newer kind of experience. After the collection of data, I have got some findings. These findings are completely from my personal point of view. Those are given below:
- Agrani Bank Limited has already achieved a high growth rate accompanied by an impressive profit growth rate in 2008. The number of deposit and investment are also increasing rapidly.
- Agrani Bank has an interactive corporate culture. The working environment is very friendly, interactive and informal. And there are no hidden barriers or boundaries while communication between the superior and the subordinate. This corporate culture provides as a great motivation factor to the employees.
- Agrani Bank Limited has already established a favorable reputation in the banking industry of the country. It is one of the leading commercial banks in Bangladesh. The bank has already shown a tremendous growth in the profits and deposits sector.
- They follow some traditional banking system in general banking department. The entire general banking procedure is not fully computerized.
- From the clients view introducer is one of the problems to open an account. It is general problem to all commercial bank.
- Agrani Bank uses manual system to verify the signature of clients it consumes a lot of time.
- Lack of update products is also a drawback of the general banking area of the Agrani Bank. The bank provides only some limited traditional services.
- They face troubles with those clients who have not any knowledge in banking transactions and banking rules.
- They are not using Data based Network in information technology department. So they have to transfer data from branch to head office, for example clearing cheques.
- Limited number of computer equipment.
- Lack of advertisement and promotions of the products provided by the bank, there can be seen total absence of any kind of product introductory brochures and leaflets, unlike any other banks in the city.
- Lack of employee’s satisfactions in the branch can be seen.
- The load of work is not same on the every level of employee. That differs on the level of the work.
- Corporate clients or customers want more new branch in business area.
- There is no available number of computer for employee in the bank that’s why to complete and important task take time.
- Many customer want better services like Standard Chartered and HSBC bank.
For the probable solutions of the identified problems ensure better progress to Agrani Bank in future, some necessary steps are recommended bellow on the basis of collected data, observation, expert staffs opinion and my knowledge and judgment:
- Bank must open a marketing department for contacting with the people.
- Agrani Bank should ensure networking system with its branches then it could easily transfer data within short time.
- Agrani Bank should give more attention to advertisement for creating more attraction among its customers, which is helpful to collect more deposits and increase investments scope. That’s why bank should give emphasis on advertisement in various media like TV, News Paper, Internet and Billboard.
- The entire department should be well informed regarding their goals and objectives. It is essential to execute company objective into individual target.
- More branches should be opened all over the country to increase their banking service network.
- A philosophy of working for the customer instead of working for boss must be introduced.
- Job description should be clarified and proper training facilities should ensure to improve the performance of bottom line management.
- It was observed that the officers of Agrani Bank have to spend more time in preparing vouchers; this can be avoided by the automation.
- They should take an early initiative to improve their expertise in the investment businesses to be more prompt.
- The bank should open more ATM booth.
- Credit Card should introduce as soon as possible and it should be available to customer.
- The number of computer equipment should be increased.
- NCC Bank is to be concentrating in always monitoring the performances of its competitors in the field of foreign trade.
- In case of PO, DD Agrani Bank Ltd. should use automation system like foreign banks.
- There should be a separate department for credit card recovery.
- To maintain their reputation and image in the Banking sector and to the general people Agrani Bank Ltd. should more involve in mobilization and utilization of local resources like- investing in N.G.O. activities, educational, health expansion activities, poverty eliminations etc.
- Bank should use the right people for the right place.
- Worked load on the same level employees is not same, in this case management should distribute in the work more carefully.
- Customer services should be made better relationship between a banker and a customer should be more sound.
- People must be properly motivated before its introduction and new application of any new scheme.
- Bank must introduce e-banking system for better customer service.
- The Agrani Bank Ltd. should reduce manual and paper work, because it reduces efficiency and also keeping more time.
- The important and big dealers should get the preference and extra concentration by the rules and policies of the Bank.
- Reduced the influence of head office on every matter. Head Office should allow the branches to conduct business own as branches wish.
There are a number of Private Commercial Banks, Nationalized Commercial Banks and foreign Banks operating their activities in Bangladesh. The Agrani Bank ltd. is one of them. For the future planning and the successful operation for achieving its prime goal in this current competitive environment this report can be a helpful guideline.
From the practical point of view I can declare boldly that I really had enjoyed my internship at Agrani Bank Ltd. from the first day. Moreover, Internship program that is mandatory for my BBA program, although it is obviously helpful for my further thinking about my career.
Banks always contribute towards the economic development of a country. Compared with other Banks Agrani Bank Ltd. is contributing more by investing most of its funds in fruitful projects leading to increase in production of the country. It is obvious that right channel of Banking establish a successful network over the country and increases resources; will be able to play a considerable role in the portfolio of development in developing country like ours.
Agrani Bank Ltd. is playing its leading role in socio-economic development of the country. Since inception Agrani Bank Ltd. has been rendering its Banking services with the needs of the nation to cope with the demands of people in the country. By doing many other works for state & society, Agrani Bank Ltd. has emerged as the pioneer of playing key role in the country.