Concept of Employee Selection
Employee selection can range from a very simple process to a very complicated process depending on the firm hiring and the position. No organization can function efficiently without right number and kinds of people. Hence, selection function of employment process helps in obtaining the best and qualified manpower for a particular vacant position in the organization.
The purpose of the selection process is to pick up the most suitable candidate who would meet the requirements of the job in an organization best, to find out which job applicant will be successful if hired. Selection is one of the functions of employment, which begins as soon as the recruitment process ends.
Employee selection Process takes place in the following order-
- Preliminary Interviews- It is used to eliminate those candidates who do not meet the minimum eligibility criteria laid down by the organization.
- Application blanks- The candidates who clear the preliminary interview are required to fill application blank.
- Written Tests- Various written tests conducted during selection procedure are an aptitude test, intelligence test, reasoning test, personality test, etc.
- Employment Interviews- It is a one to one interaction between the interviewer and the potential candidate.
- Medical examination- Medical tests are conducted to ensure physical fitness of the potential employee.
- Appointment Letter- A reference check is made about the candidate selected and then finally he is appointed by giving a formal appointment letter.
Selection is a process of choosing the most qualified and suitable candidate to fill organizational vacancies. It is the process of interviewing and evaluating the candidates for a specific job and selecting an individual for employment based on certain criteria (qualifications, skills, and Experience). The individual who is likely to succeed will be identified and hired to perform organizational activities. This process is known as selection. The process of selection provides an employment opportunity to the persons who possess the abilities and qualifications to perform a specific job. It also determines the characteristics required to perform the task in an organization. It starts with initial screening activities and terminates with the physical examination of applicants if required.
Therefore, selection can be defined as a process by which the candidates are screened for choosing the most qualified candidate in order to perform organizational activities.