“Training & Development Process of Human Resource for International Projects”
The report is prepared to determine the Training & Development Process of Human Resource for International Projects of Pubali Construction. Pubali Construction have strong and effective training department, which work for adopting the new technology, operation process, marketing strategy. Therefore, it is great to evaluate the training and development process of the Pubali Construction. Through this report, a clear idea is generated about the training and development process, the methods used for training and development, the training and development evaluation process, the organization’s view toward its necessity and its contribution to the organization’s & success plus how they measure the results of training.
Pubali Construction is one of the best Construction Company in Bangladesh. Through its strong brand image company make, it has been able to provide innovative services to the people of a developing country such as Bangladesh. They offer a huge range of Emplacement and services to its People, which have contributed to the overall reputation and success of the Company. I have chosen the Training & Development Process of Human Resource for International Projects as the topic of my internship report. Pubali Construction started its business in Bangladesh in 1986, opening its first branch in Dhaka. The company increasingly invested in people, technology and premises as its business grew in relation to the country’s thriving economy. At present, the company has one Head office in Dhaka & two-branch office in U.A.E. Extensive knowledge of the market and essential expertise in a wide range of financial services are company’s strength. The Company’s main ability to build business opportunities for corporate and institutional clients at home and abroad. Continuous upgrading of technology and control systems has enabled the company of offer new construction services.
In order to provide best services the company is very much concerned about the employees, because good employees can ensure good services. In addition, for that every company needs to establish good HR practice.
high record in which we are held today bears testimony to the measure of success, we have been able to achieve. Bangladeshi manpower’s has gain subsequent reputation for their excellent services as they are:
- Abundant and ready availability.
- Well-qualified and experienced technical personnel.
- Sincerity, reliability and dependability.
- Very economical and cost effective.
A large number of Bangladeshi workers have worked abroad, have experience ofPubali International is a concern of Pubali Construction Limited who is a pioneer in construction industry both in U.A.E and in Bangladesh.
ABOUT FOREIGN PROJECT:
The procedure how Foreign project gets by Pubali Construction L.L.C are describing below:
- The Samsung Companies Project Director Mr. Lee including 2 nos. of other high management officials went to visit in Bangladesh to investigate Pubali Construction Companies capability to procure skilled & capable Engineers , Foremen ,workers etc. including verify the company’s financial capacity.
- In Bangladesh Pubali Company arrange an interview for all different categories of Manpower in his office & interviewed by Samsung Project Director & high officials & selected a total 350 nos of staffs & workers who are Capable, Smart & well experienced for this Palm Jebel Ali Project & then allow them to come to Dubai under Samsung Companies Visa.
- In Bangladesh, Pubali Company before the arrangement of the interview by Samsung Corporation trained up all the different categories of workers such as Carpenter, Welder, and Rigger. Steel fixer, Plumber, Mason & common Laborers in his own construction workshop during 3 months.
- Samsung Corporation has arranged accommodation, food & Transportation Site to Camp & Camp to Site for all workers.
- Monthly minimum Basic salary & overtime of the workers has been fixed by the Samsung Construction & Engineering company according to U.A.E Law & after completing the Project works Pubali company has to be pay to the workers Annual leave 30 days salary per one year completion & 21 days Gratuity per one year completion of the project works including One way return air ticket fare.
To meet the requirements of the Bangladesh Ministry Expatriate Welfare & Overseas Employment, a foreign employer needs to prepare the following documents:
A formal letter issued by the employer addressing PUBALI INTERNATIONAL with full details of category-wise number of workers, monthly salary, contract period, working hours and all possible facilities i.e. accommodation, food, medical, air passage etc
POWER OF ATTORNEY:
A letter issued by the employer authorizing PUBALI INTERNATIONAL to act on behalf of the employer in recruiting demanded workers and to carry out all necessary formalities related with the respective Embassy and the related agencies of the Government of Bangladesh
This letter is also issued by the employer addressing the Consulate General of the respective Embassy (mainly K.S.A.) intimating him regarding the appointment of PUBALI INTERNATIONAL as employer’s agent and their authorization to act on employer’s behalf to carry out all visa formalities with the Embassy, by mentioning the visa no. and its issue date.
Background of the Study
In order to complete my B.B.A program, I have to complete an internship as part of my BBA program under a national/multinational organization. I need to submit a report on my internship to get a certificate from the University. I was very lucky to get the chance to complete my internship in the best Multinational Construction Company in Bangladesh ‘Pubali International’. The duration of my internship program was three months. I had to work from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, (3/4 days per week) which gave me a very good idea about the environment of the Company. I tried my best to work with sincerity with the ‘Management Trainee’ and ‘Manager of the Portfolio’ to get a good understanding of the overall Construction operations especially in the Foreign Project Sector. From my internship, I have learnt many things about the people, services and background of Pubali Construction. I feel very proud to submit my internship report on ‘Training & Development Process of Human Resource for Foreign Projects’.
Name of the Company :Pubali International
Business : Overseas Employment Promotion
License No. : RL-135
Year of Establishment : 1986
Type of Establishment : Proprietorship
Number of Employees :28(Twenty Eight)
Fax : +880-2-8116001
Telephones : +880-2-8114277, 8116035
Bankers : Dhaka Bank, Prime Bank, Standard Chartered Bank
Membership : Bangladesh Association of International Recruiting Agents (BAIRA), The Dhaka Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Obayashi Corporation, Dubai Metro Project.
- Kajima Construction, Dubai.
- Samsung Engineering, U.A.E.
- Obayashi Corporation, Palm Jumeirah Mono-rail Project
- Shimizu Corporation, Iraq
Objective the Study
- Broad Objective
Is to identify how the Pubali Construction is implementing their Training & development process in Foreign Projects to establish best policy to do business. & broad description and analysis of the overall Training and Development process in Foreign Projects of Pubali construction. As Training and Development process is an essential part Construction & for any organizations allover the world. Training and Development process is used in a Company to increase the performance and efficiency of the individuals and the company as a whole.
- Specific Objective
- To know about the overall Construction activity of Pubali Construction.
- To understand the training and development process of Pubali Construction.
- Identify the current training and development plan for Pubali Construction.
- To find out the variety of the training and development used on the people with different level.
- To get an overall idea about the performance of Pubali Construction.
- To gather knowledge about the current scenario of Pubali Construction Training process.
- To suggest necessary measures for the development of the company.
- How they are checking the feedback of training (whether training effective or not)
Major part of data was collected through the secondary resource. It was not easy to collect primary data because the bank personnel’s were very busy and I had wait for long time to get a data from them. The secondary and primary resources are:
The primary sources of data and information:
- Customers of the company
- Staffs of the company.
- Observation during the total internship period.
- Operational process.
- Discussion with officials of Pubali Constraction
The secondary sources of data are as follows:
- Annual report of the Pubali Constraction
- Web site of Pubali Constraction
- HRM books and Periodicals.
- Internet, Newspapers and magazines.
TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT IN INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS:
Meaning and Definition of the Training & Development:
Training and development is any attempt is to improve current or future employee performance by increasing an employee’s ability to perform through, usually by changing the employee’s attitude or increasing his or her skills and knowledge.
- Training refers to improvement in required skills and knowledge of the employees in short run. Example: Training given to improve skills in order to improve skills for making outbound calls
- Development refers to improvement in required skills and knowledge of the employees in long run. Example: Training given to develop an employee and make him an International Graduate (I.G. which is a Band-7 post) from Management Trainee (M.T which is a Band-8 post)
Education is the process of increasing the level of knowledge and understanding. Therefore, training is the “know-how” and education in the “know-why”. Essentially, organizations are concerned with increasing the know how of the employees. Thus, employee training is what companies are mostly concerned with.
Pre-training: This is before training stage, where reason for training and types of training are determined.
Training: As stated earlier, is the process to increase the attitudes skills, and abilities of the employees to perform specific jobs.
Post training: This stage contains the evaluation of the training. It shows whether the training is effective or not.
Training as a System in INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS:
A training system for International projects may be defined as a rational arrangement of inputs, technology, people, materials, events and process designed to extract behavioral outputs, which produce further social or economical output, increasing organizational effectiveness. Training system receives a person as raw mat, a person having actual or potential deficiency in the job performance and process to modify behavior to match that has been specified in the training objectives. This is done under defined rating conditions and constrains. Feedback is from the trained person to refine the system. The process consists of several factors such as trainer, subject matter, training techniques and aids, physical features, time and money including operating conditions and constrains.
The Reasons for Employee Training and Development for INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS:
Training and development can be initiated for a variety of reasons for an employee as well as the group of employees:
- When a performance appraisal indicates performance is not up to the mark then there is a need for training.
- Helps people to identify with the goals
- Improve relationship between boss and subordinate.
- Helps to prepare guidelines for different types of work.
- Provides information for future needs in all areas of the organization
- Helps individuals in making better decisions effectively increasing the problem solving abilities.
- To eliminates fear in attempting new works.
Typical Topic of Employee Training and Development for International Projects of Pubali construction:
Now a days as communication plays a vital role in the business world, the organizations have to pay an importance on communication while provide training to their employees.
In the modern business world organizations cannot think of without computer, therefore employees have to provide with computer skills in training.
To successfully satisfy the customer needs on any organizations, employees have to be well trained in customer service operation.
Work force diversity training makes an employee confident about his/her career development
Training creates the environment to construct the relation with others and out side of the organization to achieve the individual and organizational goals.
Safety training increases the employee’s awareness to deal with the different situation.
Occupational Health Program:
- Sanitary Facilities
- Drinking Facilities
- Washing Facilities
- Heat stress
TRAINING & ITS INSTRUCTION DESIGN FOR INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS:
Training in Pubali Construction for Int. Projects:
The training for Pubali in fact to all departments for Int. Projects is given by its human resource department. There is no specific topic that training is given on a routine basis. It varies from time to time and according to the need of the bank. Here are some training courses that are given to employees for Int. Projects and other department:
- English communication.
- Computer skills.
- Written for professionals, Stress management.
- Time management.
- Decision making process.
- Problem solving process.
- Job related technical training.
- Leadership, Personal management.
- Company rules and procedures.
- Interpersonal communication.
- Team work, Common goal
- Office management, Service quality
- Major investment decision criteria.
Level and Form of Training of Pubali Construction For Int. Projects:
The human resource department of Pubali Construction provides its training to its potential top-level personnel (Directors and Managing Directors) and each of the mid-Level executives based on their needs and organizational demand.
There are two forms of training that is provided by the human resource department of Pubali Construction to its personnel based on the necessities:
- Internal Training.
- External Training.
In case of internal training, training is given within the Company. There is a hall room in the corporate office in which internal training is provided to the employees using its own facilities and logistic support. Sometimes guest lecturer are hired from out side institutes to provide training if required.
Based on the necessity and demand, sometimes Training is provided to the employees from various training centers out side of the organization. Pubali used to send their people to take training from different institute and many others reputed training centers outside the country (such as the employee who are working as an International Graduate in International Projects)
Pre- Training Definition:
From the name, it is easy to determine that all the activities that are carried out before the training process is known as pre-training.
Steps of Pre- Training of Pubali Construction for Int. Projects:
The pre-training stage can therefore be broken down into the following number of steps to be carried out successfully:
Conducting Needs Assessment:
First stage of training instruction design process of any kinds of organization is to conduct the needs assessment and Pubali is no exception. The needs assessment helps to determine whether training is necessary or not.
Person analysis helps the HR manager of Pubali to identify whether training is appropriate and which employees need training. In certain situations, such as the introduction of a new technology or service, all employees may need training.
B) Task Analysis:
Task analysis results in a description of work activities, including tasks performed by the employee and the knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully complete the task. Task analysis for Int. Projects of Pubali Construction involves the following activities:
Selecting the jobs that needs to be analyzed and developing a preliminary list of tasks performed on the job by interviewing and observing expert employees and their managers and talking with those who have performed a task analysis.
Verifying the importance of the tasks for the job through task inventories or expert committees composed of managers, employees, and other persons.
Identifying the knowledge, skills or abilities necessary to successfully perform each task using interviews and questionnaires
Ensuring Employee’s Readiness for Training:
After the need for training has determined, it is necessary to evaluate whether employees are ready to learn or not. Pubali Construction in Int. Operation uses the following processes to ensure the employee’s readiness for training:
Motivation to Learn:
Motivation to learn is the desire of the trainee to learn the content of the training program which is related to knowledge gain, behavior change or skills acquisition in training programs. Managers need to ensure that employee’s motivation to learn is as high as possible through:
Self-efficiency and understanding the benefits of learning:
Self-efficiency is the employee’s belief that they can successfully learn the content of training program. Managers can increase employee’s self-efficiency level by:
- Providing as much information as possible about the training program and purpose of training prior to the actual training.
- Showing employees the training success of their peers who are now in similar jobs.
- Providing employees with feedback that learning is under their control and they have the ability and the responsibility to overcome any learning difficulties they experience in the program.
Understanding the benefits of training to the employees by communicating to them the potential job-related, personal and career benefits they may receive because of attending the training program.
Employee’s readiness for training activities can also be influenced by the degree to which they have basic skills-the reading, writing and communication skills needed to understand the content of training program and therefore, HR Manager of Pubali Construction Conduct a literacy audit to determine employee’s basic-skill level.
As stated earlier, training is any process by which the attitude, skills and abilities of employees to perform specific jobs has increased the driving force of Pubali and it has always been because of their employees.
In order to sustain economic and effective performance it is important to optimize the contribution of employees to the aims and goals of the necessary to ensure an adequate supply of staffs that are technically and socially competent and capable of career advancement into specialist department of management position. This is therefore, a continual need for the processes of staff training in order to fulfill part of this process for Int. Projects.
Steps of Training for Int. Projects of Publi Construction:
Pubali Construction follows the following strategies to provide training to its employees:
Creating Learning Environment:
As learning involves a permanent change in behavior, therefore Pubali Construction provides an emphasis on creating learning environment within the bank for the personals. For employees to acquire knowledge and skills in the training program and apply this information in their jobs the training program needs to include specific learning principals and therefore it is necessary to have a learning environment within the organization.
According to HR Manager of Pubali Construction, they create the learning environment within the bank through following ways:
- Informing objectives of learning to the employees.
- Providing learning guidance to the employees through verbal cues with proper combining sequence and larger meaningful context.
- Providing feedback on degree of accuracy and timing of performance to the employees during their on job time.
- Selecting and supplying the necessary and modernize training material to the employees. Usually for Int. Projects Pubali Construction uses the following training materials as shown below:
a) Well-qualified instructor.
c) Overhead projectors.
d) Slide projectors.
e) White board.
g) Graphs and charts, etc.
Pubali assures the availability of its training materials to its trainees. In addition, it ensures a friendly and encouraging classroom to its trainees.
Unlike most other training centers, the classrooms of Pubali are well maintained and clean. The positive points of the classroom are as below:
b) Carpeted Floor.
d) Bathroom Facilities.
e) Water Dispenser (mineral water -hot or cold).
f) Single desk-chairs.
g) Big open spaces to give breathing space.
h) Enough space for trainer to teach and move about.
Free flow of necessary information:
Pubali Construction also creates learning environment informally such as arranging picnic, tour, debate competition, cultural program (specially done in Int. Projects) etc.
Selecting Training Methods:
A number of different methods can be used to help employees acquire new Knowledge, skills, & behaviors. Survey results suggest that videotapes, lectures, one-on-one instruction, and simulations are the most frequently used training methods.
Pubali Construction HR authority believes that training is major thing to achieve organizational goals precisely. Therefore, they strictly follow modern and sophisticated training process that is attributable on their existing employees. Throughout Pubali for Int. Projects, in order to provide training to its top-level and mid-Level executives Pubali uses the following training methods:
Pubali Construction overall training methods are divided into two broad categories.
- On The Job Training.
- Off The Job Training.
On the job training:
On the job methods refer to the methods that are applied in the work place, when the employees are actually working. Virtually every employee of Pubali Construction gets on the job training when he or she joins Pubali Construction. Pubali Construction uses this training process for newly hired employees, upgrading the skills of experienced employees when new technology is introduced, cross-training employees within a department (happens frequently for Int. Projects) or work unit and orienting transferred or promote employees to their new jobs.
At lower level, trainees may acquire skills for, say, by observing other experienced employees. Nevertheless, this technique is also widely used at top management level in Pubali Construction.
Off -the-job, training Int. Projects of Pubali Construction covers the following method:
- Presentation Techniques:
Pubali Construction uses presentation techniques for presenting new facts, information, different philosophies, and alternative problem solving solutions through traditional classroom instruction, distance learning, and audiovisual techniques.
- Classroom instruction
Despite new modern techniques, classroom instruction remains a popular training method to different organizations and Pubali Construction no exception.
- Audiovisual technique:
To improve communication skills, interview skills, and performing nicely for their desired job/work Pubali Construction for Int. Projects uses this technique where overheads, slides, and video are used.
Training & Testing center:
- Company has two training and testing center in Bangladesh
- International visitors are visiting the training center in Bangladesh.
- Workers are getting training in a training center.
- Training is continuously going on training center in Bangladesh.
Post- Training Definition:
In simple sense, post-training refers to the evaluation done after the training program is completed. It measures the benefits and cost of the training program in qualitative as well as quantitative forms, Pubali Construction uses both forms of this information to evaluate its training program. Examining the outcomes of program helps to evaluate the training effectiveness.
For Int. Projects Pubali Construction, the training program is evaluated in the following ways:
- To determine whether the program is meeting the objectives or not.
- To determine whether trainees believe that the content and administration of the program were satisfactory.
- To determine the financial benefits and costs of the training program.
- To compare the costs and benefits to different training programs to choose the best program
- To market training programs and services to different clients.
Steps of Post- Training of Pubali Construction for Int. Projects:
During post-training Pubali Construction follows the following strategies to evaluate its training programs:
Identification of Training Outcomes:
In order to evaluate the overall training programs and also other departments of Pubali Construction, the first step uses by the HR Manager is to identify the training outcomes that can be categorized into four categories:
To collect the above training outcomes Pubali Construction for Int. Projects, follows the following methods are performed:
- Focus groups, and
- Personnel records
Pubali Construction like the other organizations put emphasis on the cost-benefit analysis, which is the process of determining the economic benefits of a training program using accounting methods Training related cost-benefit information is important to Pubali Construction for following reasons:
- To understand total expenditure for training, including direct and indirect cost
- To compare the cost and benefit of alternative training program. To ensures the well use of the training budget
- To control cost.
The major findings of the Report are stated below:
Similar Training Methods For International Projects and all other Departments– Though this report basically focused on the Training and Development Process of Pubali Construction for Int. Projects , but it is also found out that similar Training and Development process is followed all over the Company means all the other departments of Pubali Construction
Working environment- Pubali Construction provide safe and friendly working environment to their employee for Int. Projects and all other departments, so that their employee would be able to give their best performance. Training is provided for safety such as “Fire Warden Training” to ensure the safety from fire.
Adoption of culture- Pubali Construction have strong and effective training department for Int. Projects and also other departments which work for adopting new technology, operation process, marketing strategy.
Leadership- Pubali Construction leadership is very well structured because of expert, talented and some charismatic people that have also been developed by means of Training.
Skilled employee- Pubali Constructions Employees are very experienced & enough smarter than the other construction company’s officer, which makes them special. The way they make decisions, takes risk, develop innovative ideas, effectively operate and successfully achieve the goals within deadline makes them special and proves them better than the others. Training is one of the major tools to build skilled employees.
Added Value- One of their strategies for Int. Projects of Pubali is that they try to add value such as the International deals, foreign remittance, and so on to be a part of Pubali Construction is the key to their success. Whenever a new concept is developed, Training is given to make the employees efficient enough to operate on that new concept or the new job.
Creative and Innovative:
Pubali Construction Creativity belongs to those of us who are excited by challenges, engage them in fresh thinking, and feels open minded in making decision. Employees are very experienced Creative thinkers are and not limited by convention but allow their minds to ascend beyond predictable solutions. Training is also given on that to generate new ideas and employees who work as the International Graduate (I.G.) often taken to abroad for training to gain more knowledge about the other countries, generate more knowledge that is global and try to implement that knowledge by developing more creative and innovative construction ideas.
Pubali Construction have strong and effective training department, which work for adopting new technology, operation process. As a member of global village, they view the world from the widest perspective. Pubali Construction is like to be with all global citizens and they believe the world as a place full of new opportunities and exciting possibilities. Pubali Construction also delivers excellent construction services. Training is one of the most effective methods they use for Globalization.
Major findings, which proves why Pubali Construction is classified among the best courtesy of Training:
- Efficient in increasing employee motivation. & boost employee moral.
- Increase job satisfaction.
- Reduce employee turnover.
- Increase innovation & opportunities.
- Increase departmental as well as organizational productivity.
- Reduce financial distress.
- Enhance organizational image.
- The amount of salary needs to be increased as the other Construction Firms also pay good amount of salary so being a multinational, Pubali should give more salary in order to retain talented employee and reduce turnover. This issue is applicable especially in the entry level and to the contractual people. Training regarding the salary structure in entry level might be an effective method to resolve this issue
- Pubali Construction needs to make an agreement to the employees who receive training like employees cannot leave the organization within 6 months or 1 year of training. The reason is that it is found out in many cases that an employee immediately leave the organization after receiving the training which means both loss of money and time for the organization. Moreover, the employee will share his/her training learning to the new organization in order to benefit them can create a negative impact to the Pubali Construction.
- Training, most of the time should be done with the expert people. However, often the bank uses their new employee to take the training class.
- Company need to maintain proper succession plan because after training & development this employee will help them to grow, develop and share their ideas, help the company to achieve the future goals. Nevertheless, employees can leave the company any time for better opportunity. That is why company needs to maintain proper succession planning so that they can always keep the potential and talented people in their company.
- Needs the transparent recruitment & selection for training because after the training this employee will carry or increase the company’s Reputation by performing more efficiently and by giving better outputs.
- Sometimes the number of policies is a bit too much for the customer to tolerate which creates a frustration among the customers (like lots of high requirement for simple root level job). Therefore, those issues must be find out and reviewed again to reduce the number of policies. After reducing the policies, training should be given to make the employee expert in dealing with the less number of policies in order to gain more employee satisfaction.
- In Pubali construction, there is three contractual recruitment like the ‘third party contract’, ‘second party contract’ and ‘first party contract’ before becoming permanent. So those who enter in a ‘third party contract’ needs to wait for a long time before finally becoming permanent and often the individual don’t wait that long. In addition, no training is given to the contractual people to enhance their skills and develop themselves. So in order to reduce turnover, Pubali Construction must rethink about this issue, can also include some training to the contractual (such as Class Room Lecture Training) in order to reduce the turnover.
- Sometimes Clash takes places between workers & employers as a misunderstanding. Therefore, it should be resolved very carefully, as it may hamper company’s Goodwill.
Training and development process plays a vital role for organization’s overall success of Pubali construction. They have expertise in the corporate and international division including cash management, administration, trade finance and operations. With over 25 years of experience in construction sector and an extensive international branch network, Pubali Construction is committed to help the people to succeed in every competitive environment.
Employees are the most valuable assets for Pubali Construction. They must therefore retrain and reeducate them for the survival and growth for Pubali Construction. The increase productivity and total quality depends upon the drive, core competence, skill and technical knowledge of employees. Therefore, Pubali Construction to implement such HR practice for hiring and training employees and also work for the compensation package for those employees who are the best and able to perform the job in the most effective manner and meet the demand for the organization.
To keep pace with their changing needs, they will constantly review their comprehensive cash, trade and treasury products and services, ensuring that a full range of flexible and innovative services is always available for the customers wherever they trade
As mentioned earlier, Training and development process plays a vital role for organization’s overall success for international and overall department of Pubali Construction. It assists Pubali Construction to obtain and retain the effective and efficient employees. The process is also conductive to the achievement of the objective of the HRM department, assist the effective performance of other functional department of the organization and at last contribute to the overall organizational broad objective.