Advantages and Disadvantages of having a Pet – an Open Speech
People enjoy the company of animals and having a pet in your life brings the feeling of joy that goes both ways. Pets have become a common sight in many households. In fact, one would be hard-pressed to find a household without pets such as fish, dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, and even turtles. In France, dogs and cats are the most common pets. However, taking care of a pet isn’t something you should jump into without previously thinking about it.
Pets are a constant source of comfort, support, and love. There are many advantages and disadvantages to owning a pet. The latter plays an important role as a companion to its owner. Dogs and cats, in particular, are considered very close to humans and have been domesticated for thousands of years. They no longer live in the wild but amidst human habitats. These animals can form a very close bond with their human owners and in fact, dogs are even known as men’s best friends. Dog owners would tell you how their best friend would snuggle up close to them for comfort and follow them everywhere and know well their routines such as feeding time and the time when their owners return from work. Experts say that pets are very therapeutic and can even prolong the lives of human beings, especially elderly folk or these widowed and living alone. Even young children and recluse respond well to animals rather than their human companions.
Walking one’s dog keeps one in shape. Since these four-legged creatures need lots of exercises to keep them fit and healthy, most do owners have to allocate time daily to walk or jog with them. This not only provides the opportunity for pet owners to establish close contact with their dogs, but it also forced them to exercise and keep themselves fit in the process.
- They will be a part of your life and you will always look forward to going home to them.
- They create a very positive environment around the house.
- You will have someone to talk to when you are feeling low.
- You feel like a parent to your pets.
- They look forward to you coming home and give visible indicators to say ‘Thank God you are here, I thought you were dead!’.
- You will need a major change in lifestyle according to what kind of pet you have.
- You will have to spend a lot on their food, accessories, vet, etc. You should analyze those costs beforehand and be financially ready for them.
- You need a dedicated time slot of your day for them.
- Pets aren’t for you if you travel a lot. You cannot travel with them. It’s very stressful for them.
Apart from being a source of comfort and constant companion, a dog, in particular, would lay down its life for its master or mistress. There are countless stories of how dogs have warned their owners of an impending disaster such as fire, accidents, break-ins and eventually saved their lives. Dogs are also kept to provide security for the home front against intruders and robbers. Service dogs and sniffer dogs are used extensively in the west such as America, the United Kingdom, and the Netherlands among others. Service dogs such as Labradors and Golden Retriever are trained to assist the blind and elderly to help them with basic tasks such as crossing the street, answering the phone, collecting the mail and others. Sniffer dogs are used by the Customs Unit and the police force has a Police Canine Unit that has dogs specially trained to detect drugs and other dangerous substances like bombs.
The disadvantages of having pets relate mostly to the responsibility of caring for them. Pet owners must discharge their duties responsibly by feeding these animals under their care with proper food, exercising them and ensuring they get medical treatment as well as the required yearly vaccination. There are many irresponsible pet owners who do not feed their dogs and cats, in particular, on time as well as ensuring these animals are taken for walks, bathed regularly and taken to the vet when they require medical treatment. We see, read and hear many sad stories of dogs and cats being abandoned as soon as the owner feels the animals have outlived their usefulness. Many are abused and ill-treated.
Pet owners must ensure the surroundings are kept clean by collecting and disposing of animal waste properly. There are many complaints we read in the newspapers of how neighbors are exposed to the stench from animal waste as well as dogs being chained up for long hours and hence, bark incessantly creating nuisance and discomfort in the neighborhood.
Hence, there are more advantages than disadvantages of owning a pet as the animal plays an important role in providing companionship and comfort for the owners.
- Letter to Bank for Loan Request to have Higher Studies in Abroad
- Application for Change Date for College Fee Payment
- Complaint Letter against Incorrect Accounts
- Sample Application for Invigilator for Board Examination
- Sample Rejection Letter format after Written Test
- Job Promotion Request Letter to the Post of Manager