Introduction: Protecting the environment is the moral duty of every human being on this planet, rather it’s not only protecting the environment indirectly it is about protecting ourselves from major loss. The environment is degrading which means the chances for the survival of living organisms on earth is decreasing. But there is still some stubborn mentality in some people that the environment is degrading naturally, so it will also recover or be back to normal naturally. This is a very wrong notion. If we don’t start protecting our environment now, then there is a huge possibility that we won’t be able to save our humanity in the future.
Recent researches have proved that if this imbalance caused is not made right the reckoning will come. This doom can only be avoided with staunch and effective measures taken for its revival as soon as possible.
Pollution and Environment: Pollution can be divided into four types; water pollution, air pollution, thermal pollution, and sound pollution. Fossils fuels used in most factories, petroleum and gas usage for vehicle is the major cause of air pollution. Environment pollution can also be an addition harmful substance that could affect human health and human life. Given the above, environmentalist should fight for a better environment because pollutions caused by burning of fossil fuels will results in severe environmental problems such as the occurrence of acid rain due to the production of sulphur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen monoxide (NO). Casiday and Frey mentioned that combustion process not only increases the concentration of carbon dioxide(CO2) in the atmosphere but it is also the main source in producing high level of nitrogen monoxide(NO) and sulphur dioxide (SO2). These are the two major reactants that cause the formation of acid rain. Acidity of acid rain changes the pH of the river water and lakes which then disrupt the nature habitat of aquatic organisms and reduce the chance of survival of aquatic organisms, for example fishes cannot survive due to lack of oxygen. In addition, the insoluble aluminum ions added to the water can causes water to become poisonous which can also be known as water pollution. For example, Norway has blamed that the sea and lakes are poisoned by the formation of acid rain for many years due to the unclean air pollution that comes from Britian’s power stations.
Ozone layer which prevents ultraviolet rays from sun to enter our atmosphere is getting depleted due to the increase in harmful gases causing pollution in the environment. Because of the increasing demands of the increasing human population, the pollution is increasing. Man started polluting the environment since the first fire was produced. From then to now, man has been polluting the environment in the name of development. Due to cumulative effect of ozone depletion and greenhouse effect the temperature on earth is rising continuously resulting in global warming.
As a result of which glaciers at the poles are melting and contributing to rise in the sea level, many major cities inhabited by humans are predicted to submerge in water in next few decades. Post effects of this environmental degradation are beyond our imagination, need of the hour is to preserve our environment in the best way possible, not only because it is our moral duty to do that, but because it’s our only to way to survive from the harm.
Due to exponential growth of population along with industrialization, the quality of environment is degrading. There is a crucial need for conservation and preservation of the environment.
Tips for Environment Conservation –
So here are some of the things which we can do to conserve our environment:
- If we are painting our house, use latex paint, as oil-based paints release hydrocarbon fumes.
- Instead of using our personal vehicle, go for bike or public transport. Vehicle traffic is a major contributor to noise pollution and also to smog.
- Try to use less fertilizer or use organic fertilizers instead because when it rains, fertilizers drain into streams along with rain water.
- Don’t trash the streams instead do volunteering with other groups in cleaning them on regular basis.
- While using washing machines, try to load it full or adjust the water level according to the load. Washing machines use almost 40 gallons of water.
- Use bucket for washing cars or other vehicles, instead of hose. Because the water running from hose while we are working wastes a lot of water.
- Set the sprinkler in the lawn instead of watering it as that will be helpful in saving water.
- Close the tap while brushing, washing or bathing when it is not in use. 5 gallons of water goes to drain every minute the water runs from faucet.
- Try to conserve energy by switching off the lights, fans and other electrical appliances when not in use. This will also help in reducing your bill to a much greater extent.
- If people have mercury thermometer, replace it with the digital one. Mercury is a major pollutant and is non-degradable which moves up to the food chain and causes serious health issues.
- Thinking about taking a paper bag or plastic from shop? Better yet, take our own canvas bag to the grocery shop and reuse it each time we go for shopping.
These small things can go a long way in saving and protecting the environment.
Furthermore, environmental protection should be implemented due to warm climate changes and flood which heighten the risks of spread out pests and vector diseases. Some infectious diseases such as malaria, dengue, cholera and encephalitis can also spread out rapidly throughout the whole area by mosquitoes, flies, and other insects those usually adapt to live in warm weather region. As the World Health Organization (WHO) notes that contamination of water resources due to the occurrence of flood enlarge the chances of getting water-borne diseases and also for mosquitoes to carry disease around the environment. Malaria and dengue fever have threaten the Southeast Asia and South Pacific island due to the climate change as increases the population of mosquitoes and migration of refugees. Hence, it can be concluded that flood and climate change will destroy our safety health environment.
Conclusion: Even after understanding the need and importance of protecting the environment and saving the planet if we don’t do our bit towards the same then it will be a big mistake on our part. We should take it as our responsibility to create awareness regarding this and do whatever we can to save the environment. Moreover, the global warming change the climate become warmer and flood encouraged the growth of the pests and vectors like malaria and dengue fever to spread the disease out to the environment which increases the level of biochemical oxygen demand. Therefore, the environment should be protected for a better life in future.
- Sample Request Letter for Cancellation of Library Membership
- Recommendation Letter Format for Student
- Application to Immigration Department for Seeking Asylum
- Request Letter format of Cancellation of Reservation
- Employee Discount Offer Letter Format in an Occasion
- Request Letter to Bank Manager for Unblock ATM Card