Introduction: Library is a storehouse of books. It also provides various other sources of information for reading in its premises as well as borrowing for home. The collection of the library can include books, manuscripts, magazines, periodicals, videos, audios, DVDs and various other formats. Wide range of books is stored in a library and well organized in bookshelves. It is an important part of every educational institute such as schools, colleges, and universities. Such a library is open for students of the particular institute it forms a part of. It contains a wide range of resources vital for the students.
Libraries offer a wealth of knowledge, resources, space, and environment to discover the world of books and enjoy studying or just reading for pleasure. The benefits of libraries are countless as they play a vital role in helping people by providing access to information, knowledge and entertainment resources.
Uses of Libraries –
- Libraries play a vital role in imparting knowledge. Libraries help in learning and expansion of knowledge. It develops the habit of reading and boosts the thirst for more and more knowledge. It adds to what an individual has already learned and leads to his personal growth and development in life.
- Libraries are especially essential for people who cannot afford costly books and resources for reading and acquiring information. They are the ones who truly understand the value and importance of the library.
- Libraries do not only provide resources but also offer service by professional librarians who are experts at searching, organizing and interpreting information needs.
- Libraries provide virtual space for individual and group studies. They also facilitate access to digital resources and the internet.
- Modern libraries are extending services by providing material accessible by digital media. Librarians provide assistance in navigating and analyzing a large amount of information through digital resources.
- The library is the place with absolute silence where one can concentrate on reading. Even though it is open for all people the basic rule for all those who enter the library is to read peacefully and maintain silence.
- People who love reading create their own private libraries. Such ambiance at home has a positive impact on the members of the family. It helps in developing the reading habit in children and contributes to their growth and development. It broadens the outlook of the people.
School Library: School library is the library within the school where students, teachers and other staff members have access to books and other resources. School libraries are different from other public and private libraries as they mainly support and extend the school curriculum. School libraries support students’ learning and have a positive impact on students’ academic achievements. Teachers and students need library resources and services for knowledge and success. School library supports both teachers and students and is vital for teaching and learning process. Education and library go hand in hand and are inseparable. The library is an essential leap in the development of literacy provided to students in classrooms.
Benefits of School Library for Students –
- School library supports students by providing various study materials and encouraging them to read. School library is an important source of knowledge for the students. Reading frequently in libraries improves vocabulary and develops reading and writing skills of the students.
- Students get access to a wide range of books and resources essential for reference, knowledge, learning, and entertainment. They can choose from diverse books as per their own interest and learning purpose.
- School libraries encourage students for independent learning and help them explore their interests.
- Libraries are essential for the educational and personal development of the students. It impacts positively on the academic performance and achievements of the students.
- Besides assisting teachers in research and supporting the students in their studies, libraries help in developing reading habits and provide information and knowledge to enrich the learning experience. Libraries encourage fiction reading that helps students develop the habit of reading for pleasure and enhances students’ intellectual, cultural, artistic and emotional growth.
- A library is an appropriate place for the students to study and research without any disturbance. It also provides the perfect environment for students to read for pleasure. Reading is important for the overall growth and mental development of the students.
- Books can be borrowed for further reading to get in-depth knowledge on subjects of interest or simply to enjoy reading. There are general knowledge books that students can read to develop their mind. Reading is a good habit that boosts confidence in students.
- Students can take reference from the books and resources to complete their school projects and assignments. They can refer books to make notes for learning and to prepare for exams.
Importance of Libraries: Libraries play a vital role in encouraging and promoting the process of learning and gaining knowledge. People who love reading can have access to a wide range of books and resources. Libraries provide educational resources to everyone. Reading improves social skills, knowledge, mental health, academic performance and offers numerous other benefits. The library is a common platform for people with diverse reading interests and capacities. People get an opportunity to learn and progress as per their interests and capabilities. The library is the best place to spend leisure time wisely that leads to the overall development and well-being of an individual.
Conclusion: Some argue that there is technology to read online and do research so what is the need to visit the library. Yet libraries have served the communities since centuries by providing original and quality resources. People who have the habit of visiting and using libraries understand the value and importance of libraries. In addition to it, there are people who love reading but cannot afford to buy many books and resources. They can get easy access to valuable resources in libraries.