Introduction: Music is not just a source of entertainment but has an amazing power to heal. It is one of the most beautiful creations of art. It has the power to heal our mind, body, and soul by its soothing effect. Music therapy has been declared as a therapy that can work wonders on people suffering from different kinds of mental as well as physical ailments. Many institutes run special music therapy sessions to help people get rid of conditions such as depression, anxiety, cardiovascular problem, and insomnia. Music also forms a part of many other medical treatments.
Music therapy is broadly divided into two categories. These are as follows:
- Active Music Therapy: In active music therapy, the participants (those receiving the therapy) create music using different musical instruments. They also write lyrics and sing songs. This includes working on new compositions or remixing the earlier ones. The idea is to shift the patient’s focus from his physical or mental condition to something positive. Creating music can be therapeutic. Since these are group activities, they help participants connect with each other and make new friends. This also helps in the healing process.
- Receptive Music Therapy: During this type of music therapy session, the therapist plays musical instruments and sings songs. The participants sit quietly and listen to him. Many times soft healing music is played on a recorder and the participants enjoy it. This is often followed by a discussion between the participants and the therapist.
Both types of music therapy offer a calming effect on patients. They work on different levels and help in healing various medical conditions. Most music therapists offer a mix of both these therapies to heal their patients. Many music therapy sessions also include dancing, clapping and chanting loudly. Clapping and Chanting fill the atmosphere with positive energy and renders a soothing effect.
Music Calms Our Mind: Music helps in getting rid of negative thoughts and emotions. During our day we are faced with several situations that raise our stress levels. Small things such as getting stuck in a traffic jam, clash of opinion with friends/siblings/parents or even a piece of news read in the newspaper can cause stress. Music helps us unwind. It makes us forget these unnecessary things that can otherwise keep our mind occupied the whole day and hamper work.
It is a good idea to turn on your favorite song or play a musical instrument of your choice whenever you are feeling low. This will distract you from the unnecessary thoughts in your mind and calm your senses. It can uplift the mood instantly.
Music Renders Strength: Music renders strength by helping people connect better with themselves as well as those around. It aids in better self-expression. One can express verbally as well as non-verbally by way of music. Music also serves as a coping mechanism for things we cannot let go. Many such things keep our energy levels down and hinder our productivity. Music helps us cope up with such feelings and thus renders strength. It can bring about a positive change in our lives and increase our sense of control. It supports healthy feelings and hence bars the possibility of various physical as well as mental health problems.
Music Can Help with Self Expression: Self-expression is important but not easy. However, it can be made easy with the help of music. Music has proved to be of great help when it comes to self-expression. The power of music is such that just by playing a musical instrument such as drums or flute or guitar, you can convey how you are feeling or what you going through. You can express even the most intense feelings with the help of music. Another way in which you can express your self is by writing lyrics. This is a great way to communicate your feelings. You can write the lyrics of an existing song or a mix of different songs or even spin new lyrics. The idea always is to express yourself.
The importance of self-expression needs to be understood by everyone. Expressing self can be difficult for many but it is essential. Music definitely serves as a good medium for self-expression.
Conclusion: The best thing about music is that it can be listened to anytime and anywhere. You can hear it while driving or traveling by public transport or when you are exercising in the gym or trying to relax at home. Just turn on your favorite track and enthuse yourself with positivity. Music works on different levels to promote a healthy life. Music therapy works for people of all age groups. It is an effective way to relax, combat stress and fight various illnesses. It is recommended for everyone whether he/she is suffering from some ailment or not.
- Letter format for Replacement of Products Found Defective
- Job Application Format for English Teacher
- Job Application Format for Special Education Teacher
- Merry Christmas Wishes to Employees from Office Authority
- Sample Invitation Letter for School Science Exhibition
- Gracious Letter to Employee on Managing Emergency Situation