How to divide pounds and ounces?
A pound is a unit of weight commonly used in the United States and the British commonwealth, and originally descended from Roman times. A pound is defined as exactly 0.45359237 kilograms.
An ounce is a unit of weight equal to 1/16th of a pound or about 28.35 grams.
How to divide pounds and ounces-
- Convert pounds and ounces to ounces by multiplying pounds by 16 and adding the number of ounces
- Perform the required division to determine the number of ounces.
- Convert the ounces to pounds and ounces by dividing by 16.
- The quotient is the number of pounds and the remainder is the number of ounces.
Example: Divide 10 pounds 0 ounces by 4
Convert 10 pounds to ounces by multiplying 10 by 16:
16 * 10 = 160 ounces
Add the number of extra ounces:
160 + 0 = 160 ounces
Perform the required division:
160 ÷ 4 = 40 ounces
Convert to pounds and ounces by dividing by 16:
40 ÷ 16 = 2 R 8
The quotient (2) is the number of pounds and the remainder (8) is the number of ounces.
Answer: 2 pounds 8 ounces.
- 16 Ounces = 1 Pound
- 14 Pounds = 1 Stone
- 2 Stones = 1 Quarter
- 4 Quarters = 1 Hundred Weight (Cwt)
- 20 Hundred Weights (Cwts) = 1 Ton
The decimal counting system uses a uniform ’10’ to advance from 1 through 10 through 100 through 1000 etc.
The process of adding and subtracting weights uses a multi-base system of 16, 14, 2, 4 and 20 to move from ounces through tons.